Author Topic: Ideas needed on what to build around a shotgun barrel  (Read 925 times)

high_on_a_mtn_17

Ideas needed on what to build around a shotgun barrel
« on: November 10, 2018, 04:33:10 AM »
So I have first opportunity at a Thompson Center percussion shotgun barrel, 15/16ths full round, 28”, hooked patent breech, for a pretty good deal.

It’s a good barrel, very good price, but what semi-historically-accurate gun could I build around a barrel like that?

Initially I thought of something along the lines of The English Sporting style, but I also thought about something along the lines of a mid-1800s barn gun. I like the idea of carrying something simple, something a rural smith would have produced for a American farmer, useful and utilitarian, no frills and all purpose. Problem with the latter is that, even knowing guns like this had to be produced, I can’t seem to find much in the way of information on them.

If anybody can post pictures, links, or point me toward the right books, I’d be grateful. Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

Offline Daryl

Re: Ideas needed on what to build around a shotgun barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 07:51:15 AM »
Strikes me that barrel is quite short - would likely be best on a very late percussion period 19th century gun - say 1850's to 1860's..
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bgf

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 08:28:36 AM »
I think I'd look at some old percussion shotguns and build that way, pretending the barrel was sawed off a bit at some point...no point in trying to reinvent the wheel.  I'm not much of an authority on MLing shotguns, but a short caplock with skeet or IC choke (no idea what you have or what people usually do) ought to be useful and fun for just about anything.  It's never going to be anything from RCA or whatever, so have fun with it and make it useful.  Just my take.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 05:15:15 PM »
For starters, “semi historically accurate” is a term that strikes me as very similar to the term “ slightly pregnant”. It either is or isn’t accurate. That being said the Confederate cavalrymen were often armed with shortened shotguns instead of cavalry carbines most were doubles, but single barreled versions were known. I would go with a back action lock, and a hand made sling rail, that doubles as the lockbolt washer on the left side.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 05:18:51 PM »
I'd look for a TC to drop it into. Save a lot of work...….
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?