Author Topic: Wheel Lock Lock and Set trigger Design  (Read 1028 times)

Offline BradBrownBess

Wheel Lock Lock and Set trigger Design
« on: February 09, 2022, 07:18:51 PM »
Trying to help a friend on how this set trigger might work with his Wheel Lock. Its original, Walnut, probably 1680 - 1720 or so. Lock works GREAT. I can only go by his descriptions and photos. I'm trying to get him to take the trigger assembly back out to photo the other side.

Anyway if you look at the pics you can see what he is working with. The Release Lever has a rod sticking out about 1/2 " that will trip the lock and spin the wheel - its in the u shaped crotch of the spring. Lock and gun look original. Pretty piece with a few repairs and beautiful carving.

I know the primary trigger is broken and shorter.
****Anyone seen anything like this - without it in hand I'm scratching my head on what to tell him.

post image free

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Wheel Lock Lock and Set trigger Design
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 08:16:30 PM »
Hi Brad,
I believe the tall rear trigger lever flies backward under spring power striking the lateral sear on the lock pushing it back and firing the lock.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Wheel Lock Lock and Set trigger Design
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 09:27:12 PM »
The wheellock has both a primary and a secondary sear.  The knife on the kicker trigger strikes the secondary sear's arm which protrudes laterally from the lock, disengaging it from the primary sear.  The tension of the mainspring on the wheel, once the secondary sear is out of the way, allows the primary sear to disengage from the wheel and the wheel rotates.
On my own pistol, my trigger is pinned through the stock ABOVE the plate, creating a very long trigger that consequently has enormous leverage.  And the secondary sear is very easliy moved backward out of the way of the primary sear, so the trigger pull, even without a set trigger is extremely light.
Here's a picture taken right out of George Lauber's book, "How to Build Your Own Wheellock-Rifle or Pistol".

From what I can see in your photos, the front trigger is broken off just below the plate.  So that trigger needs to be repaired or replaced.  This trigger is a single action trigger and must be set to fire the lock.  The front trigger cannot be used to fire the lock without first having been set.  I suspect that's how it got broken...someone who didn't understand the system tried to release the wheel simply by pulling the front trigger, without first setting it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:33:47 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.