Author Topic: How to install  (Read 4311 times)

Red Owl

How to install
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »
Dixie Gun Works has an oval cap box without any side plates or surrounding metal. I assume the hinge goes on the bottom but I have no idea how the spring mechanism works.  I am seeking any help on this one. Thanks

I tried to post the image but couldn't figure out how to do it however it is their catalog item:

ZP5620 Patchbox - Hawken (w/Catch & Spring)       ZP5620 Patchbox - Hawken (w/Catch & Spring)       $17.5

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 06:57:16 PM by Red Owl »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: How to install
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:04:17 PM »
Here's a picture of the capbox in question....

I've never installed one of these, but here's my guess.... Make the spring in an L shape but inverted.  Cut a small slot thru the rectagular side, up near the hinge for the spring to pass thru.  When the rectagular side of the hinge is attached to the inside wall of the mortise, it will hold the spring in place.

I'll be interested to see the advice from some of the more experienced folks here.

-Ron
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:23:08 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Red Owl

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »
KyFlinter: so, if I understand- the square part to the right of the hinge; that will be turned down at 90 degrees and attached to the side of the cut or inlet area in the stock. This will mean that only the oval portion will be visible. In looking at the side of the butt  of the stock the hinge will be at the bottom. This I believe is typical.

The inlet of the stock will need to be set in around its perimeter say 1/8" to create a little shelf for the outer edge of the oval portion of the lid to rest upon/against. This shelf will be also inlet the thickness of the lid so that the lid is even with the rest of the stock's surface. This inlet should not be so tight that in lifting the lid it could pull or chip away a surrounding portion of the wood. 

Now about the spring.

Option 1. If a cam type spring is used then you would normally need to slip your thumb nail under the lid to lift it.  In order to do this I would think a shallow dished area would need to be formed in the wood at the top of the oval lid.

Option 2. If a catch was used to hold down the spring, then some sort of catch devise would be needed- but where would it be located and how would it work? I realize there are probably endless options- all I want to to know what would work and be fairly easy to accomplish.

And...I realize it may sound like I am answering my own questions but I am stating what I think is correct.  Any help with whether I am right or wrong is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:46:01 AM »

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:24:22 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 02:00:32 AM »
Excellent Dave!  You beat me to it, but a picture is worth 1000 words.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Red Owl

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 03:04:05 AM »
Thanks- that's exactly what I needed to know.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:31:05 AM »
The release catch is made from a piece of drill rod filed and tempered into a spring.  At first I just made a pointed post and drove it into the wood but it was too stout and wouldn't stay tight.  So I forged a 90 on the next one and screwed it in.  However, you could put a 180 bend on a piece of band steel and make one a lot easier that was more springy.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:09:04 PM »
I know exactly what you are going through.  I installed the fancier patch box on a GPR for Brian Dancey.  And though it has a surrounding inlay, it is essentially the same inlet and function.  I used a typical longrifle styled release but you could use a  Southern Mountain Rifle release instead and it would look and work fine.  The springs that come with the set are not of much use...made mine from hack saw blades.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Red Owl

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 01:05:15 AM »
Nice job on the engraving.

Red Owl

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 04:36:58 AM »
BTW: that oval lid without any side plates, there is a Derringer Trade Rifle with that style.