Author Topic: Best way to remove old finish.  (Read 3692 times)

Offline patchbox

• Starting Member
Best way to remove old finish.
« on: June 19, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »
I have a D.G.W.,Tenn. Mtn.In 32 cal. with a 13/16"barrel that I would like to slenderize from the lock area to the muzzle.I also want to install a rear entry thimble and a nose cap. I do not want to remove any wood from the lock area to the butplate. Over the years I applied many coats of Tru Oil that I need to remove first. Any suggestions as to what product would work best would be appreciated............Thanks.........Cuuck P.

Offline stuart cee dub

Re: Best way to remove old finish.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 07:15:40 PM »
Zip Strip,rubber gloves and a nice day outside ,light wind prefered.
Nasty stuff but highly effective.
Good luck.
Stuart

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:33:43 PM »
I have found that it is much easier for me to simply scrape old finish off, rather than use a chemical stripper. Leaves the wood in better shape too, as far as re-finish goes.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »
Dad's Easy Spray.  I usually " bake" it in an "oven" created by encasing the stock in tin foil.

Scott Semmel

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:46:15 PM »
I have a couple of Dixie's poor boys, they were originally .50s. I re-barreled them to .54s and refinished them, they had more wood then needed almost everywhere, I don't know if that is the case with your .32. For the poor boys I removed a whole bunch more than the finish, you might want to do the same. Mine were supposedly oriental cherry and they stained nicely (my opinion) with aqua fortis.

roundball

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 02:41:26 PM »
I have a D.G.W.,Tenn. Mtn.In 32 cal. with a 13/16"barrel that I would like to slenderize from the lock area to the muzzle.I also want to install a rear entry thimble and a nose cap. I do not want to remove any wood from the lock area to the butplate. Over the years I applied many coats of Tru Oil that I need to remove first. Any suggestions as to what product would work best would be appreciated............Thanks.........Cuuck P.

As one alternative I've used several times instead of the DIY home stripping is to use a local antique furniture place......I found one that refinishes old furniture and they have a commercial chemical stripping booth...had them do at least a half dozen stocks for $20-25 apiece.....no sanding or changing of any stock dimensions...I drop them off in a padded gun case one week, pick them up the following week, 100% pure clean to the bare wood....no pain, no strain, no chemicals to fool with, and no sore joints  ;)...as long as I can find a place like that in the yellow pages, I'll never manually strip another one but that's just me

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 06:20:35 PM »
Homer Formby's Furniture Refinisher works great on this. Follow directions on can. Available in many hardware stores.