Author Topic: Doc Haddaway locks  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Curt Larsen

Doc Haddaway locks
« on: June 20, 2009, 04:51:15 PM »
I picked up a Doc Haddaway on Ebay awhile back and wondered what the background is on these.  They look similar to Siler locks but with different internals.  The frizzen on my lock doesn't spark very well.  I'm not sure that it was hardened correctly.   Was this common on these locks and if so is there a good remedy?

Curt

Offline b bogart

Re: Doc Haddaway locks
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:25:03 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that it is the same frizzen that T/C uses. Someone correct me if I am wrong,please. I  have used one that sparks great. Maybe I'm lucky or you just got one that doesn't??
Bruce
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 10:26:10 PM by Bruce Bogart »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
I used Hadaway locks on the first three guns I built, first one in 1970.    Not sure when he started in business, but the ones I used were very good.    From what I understand, Doc Hadaway did have a hand in designing the flint lock for those
early TC Hawken rifles.   The cock and frizzen on the TC guns are the same as his lock, well, almost.   The frizzens on his
locks were made of good steel and were appropriately hardened, whereas the frizzens on a TC  lock were only "casehardened", which means they only have a hard shell on the outside.  That is why a TC flint will eventually quit
sparking if you shoot it a lot, the hard shell will eventually wear thru then you are into soft steel, which will not spark.
Another unique thing on a Hadaway lock, he had a set screw in the tumbler which could be adjusted to vary the amount
of sear engagement....a rather nice addition, but probably not something one would find on an original lock..........Don

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:16:11 PM »
I have used several Haddaway locks over the years . I remember when his son, Freddie, would walk around at our Rendezvous flashing powder in the pan for hours. They are are well built lock that Doc told me he patterned after a Bonewitz.