Author Topic: Swivel breech rifle finished  (Read 8801 times)

Offline Randall Steffy

Swivel breech rifle finished
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:28:49 PM »
I finally finished the swivel breech project. The first of several such, maybe. I hope one or more will follow. I have ideas that need testing. So give me your thoughts, where to give more time or practice, something I need to consider. I am keenly aware that engraving does not become proficient with two rifles and a fair amount of practice. At least not for me.I cringed many times. It is enough to make a perfectionist go on sabbatical. I look at you engravers with an awe reserved for gods.

The beginning stages were shown earlier under the subject line, "Another Swivel Breech". Incidentally, the weight came in finally at 9 lbs., 3.4 oz. I thought mid-way through that the weight would be 8.7 lbs., but that was low for some reason.

I fully anticipate having the judges at Dixon's give her the once over. Should be interesting, even humbling.

For more pictures, see my album  http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/rsteffy1/

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 01:41:01 AM by Randall Steffy »

Offline acorn20

Re: Swivel breech rifle finished
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:17:42 PM »
Fit and finish look nice Randy.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in closer detail at Dixon's. 
Dan
Dan Akers

George F.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 11:41:42 PM »
I don't know much about swivel breeches, but just looking at in general, it looks fine, good really. I too, will look forward to seeing it at Dixon's next month. Hopefully it will be dressed up with a few ribbons. Good luck, see you there.  ...Geo.

California Kid

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 11:52:43 PM »
Good job, nice clean work. Keep it up.
Are you any relation to Steffy Iron Works in Ephrata?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 01:16:33 AM »
You seem to be overly concerned about your engraving; it looks good, in fact at least as good as or better than most old rifles. After all, these are not Italian shotguns we are working with here. The engraver tends to see each line and any flaws therein. Everyone else sees the overall pattern. A well designed pattern will pretty much always look good. A poorly designed pattern will never look good, regardless of the line quality. This stuff is just like shooting, the more you do the better you get.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 01:59:55 AM »
I like it. Your workmanship is very well done.

Leprechaun

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 04:55:36 AM »
Randall, very nicely done all around. there's no flies on your engraveing however, a few suggestions. Vary your line width in stratigic places to produce depth and don't be shy. Make your cuts a bit bolder and add a bit more shading. Period engraveing often exhibits few bold shade strokes relative to the many fine shade strokes of more contemporary engraveing. It's often said that the most common beginner mistake in engraveing is cutting too deep however, with longrifle engraveing, i think the most common mistake is cutting to fine. I won't say who, but even a highly respected and very accomplished Jeager engraver could stand a bit more courage in his scroll cuts (it's OK Acer, I didn't mention your name ;D)
Well done Randall. be proud, you earned it.

Offline clockman

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 06:12:14 AM »
Randall,
     I think you are being too critical of yourself.  Your rifle looks great and your engraving is nothing to be ashamed of.   I'd like to know where you got your parts as I have always admired swivel breech guns and would love to try my hand at one of these.
Kevin

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 06:54:46 PM »
We are our own toughest critics but that's OK too, it keeps us progressing. I'd be proud to hang that one on the wall.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 07:56:57 PM »
Really nice clean work! Awesome end result! ;D I hope I don't have anything entered against ya!  I'm likely to take a whuppin.
BJH

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 01:20:50 AM »
In reference to Clockman's question about a source of parts, the following applies to the subject rifle. The barrels are Green Mtn. swamped by me, the lock an L&R John Bailes, cannibalized for parts, and the butt plate from Reaves Goehring. The balance of parts were formed, cast or shaped from commonly available raw materials. The triggerguard is from a pattern I made and then cast of brass in a small foundry at my business. Screws and rear sights were made by others. And if one attempts an exhaustive accounting of sources, something is surely missed. My disclaimer. Ha!

I should by all means add that Dave Waters book on building a swivel breech rifle was of significant help, and David Price was a big encouragement to me as well. Both men are ready to help if the bug to build one of these relatively rare birds infects or afflicts you. I also talked with Bernie Tulino about his swivel action, and any such conversation will advance the motivation, if you have the bug.

To Californiakid, I am not a close relative to the Steffys in Ephrata, but surely they are related at some point in the not too distant past.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 05:08:02 AM »
Looks very scrumptious to me.  Fine craftsmanship all the way around.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 07:12:35 AM »
Anybody that builds one of these things is fearless. Great job. This would have been a really nice rifle if it would have been just a single barrel.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »
This is one of the nicest swivel breech guns I have looked at in a long time.    A lot of unseen work involved in doing something like this.   I know, I assembled about a dozen of the Nicholas Hawk swivel breech units when we acquired the
barrel business from Bob Paris.  I have one critical comment on your architecture......the rear of the lock plates should have been more symmetrical, I know, I'm being picky, and is one small item in the overall quality of this gun.   You did a
great job on that guard, and I see that you have used it as the release for the swivel.   Just curious, what is the measurement, top to bottom, across the barrels at the breech?   I'm looking forward to seeing it a Dixon's..............Don

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 01:06:32 AM »
Thanks to each of you who posted a reply, the compliments are most kind.

Don Getz, thank-you for the critique of the lock plate tail. That is easy enough to adjust/correct on the next build and is a most helpful pointer and the kind that experience can share with receptive minds.

The barrels are approx. 0.915" across flats at the breech and the swivel plates measure 1.470" wide x 1.980" high.

Do you think the hammer appears small in relation to the lock and swivel plate size? I think I should have chosen a larger lock to cobble into my action.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 02:14:28 AM »
Randall.....dimensions sound pretty good, considering the size of the barrels.    While the cock does appear to be slighly
small, it's not really that noticeable.   The Hawk swivels that we did had barrels that were straight tapered, .812 down to
.700, and were available in 45 and 50 cal.......this allowed you to make a more trim gun, also lighter.  I'm looking forward
to seeing the gun, thanks.............Don

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 02:46:54 AM »
Randall,

Nice job.  As you know I have a  soft spot for swivel rifles.  I look forward to seeing it at Dixon's.