Author Topic: Germanic “Jager” Rifle.....  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Re: Germanic “Jager” Rifle.....
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2019, 05:10:51 PM »
Very nice Ed!!! Glad to see another of the casting sets in a finished Rifle.  Is the Alkanet Vanish the product from S. B. McWilliams?   

For anyone interested in this Casting set of a Christof Freund Jaeger, they are available through muzzle loader builder supply.    I have detailed photos and other educational material from this rifle.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2019, 05:28:08 PM »
SBachner..., there was minimal clean up required on these castings.  I did some chasing on the design around the heel on the butt piece (and probably should have done a little more), but overall, the cast designs are very crisp.

Ron..., yes, the varnish is the Alkanet varnish by McWilliams that you told me about.  I’ve used it on a couple of Fowler’s stocked in American walnut as well and really like it.  I’ve also used it on a Bucks Co. rifle to achieve that reddish hue commonly found on Lehigh and surrounding area pieces.

Heck yeah, Marc!

Thanks!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline t.caster

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 06:29:00 PM »
Fantastic piece of artwork! You rocked every aspect of a German rifle!
Tom C.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 07:12:34 PM »
Fantastic looking rifle, Ed. I picked up a set of those castings too. They're hiding in my shop until my skill level gets to the point I can do them justice. I would like to know how you brought the wood and metal together on the inlets. Typically you would inlet the part then file the wood and metal together for the perfect fit. I think you would lose some detail around the edges if you did that with these parts. Do you take out the part, file some wood, replace and on and on?

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2019, 07:13:24 PM »
Really nice!  I like it a lot.
Mark Thomas

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2019, 12:13:04 AM »
Justin..., in a word, to answer your question, yes.  Furniture like the trigger guard, pipes, etc. are pretty straight forward, inlet until edges flush out with the wood.  For me, the most difficult is the muzzle cap, but if you treat it like a butt piece, it’s not too bad, just a lot of in and out and fitting.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2019, 07:31:40 AM »
Outstanding, Ed. Thanks for posting.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2019, 04:21:00 PM »
Outstanding, Ed. Thanks for posting.
Bob

Outstanding indeed.Normally,my opinion of these German(ic) guns is
that they should be shown in the dark but this one IS different.

Bob Roller

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2019, 01:45:22 AM »
I picked up a set of those castings too. They're hiding in my shop until my skill level gets to the point I can do them justice.

Same here, although I'm picking away at cleaning them up some as time between other projects allows.  Even have the lock and wood now, will have to grab a barrel and start on it next winter or the one after...
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2019, 02:38:03 AM »
  Ed as usual over the top workmanship and artistry. Truly one beautiful gun. Thanks for sharing.  Oldtravler

Offline guido

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 04:13:53 PM »
To all, you have to really have to see this to appreciate this piece of art. Thank you Ed!

Offline acorn20

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 03:42:03 AM »
Outstanding work Ed!  Fit and finish on this rifle is spot on.  Congrats. 

Individuals on this site are always talking about "Top Shelf" projects.  Well, I'd have to put this on the second shelf right under Ron Scott's Germanic Fowler...and I don't think you'd disagree.  The main reason for that is his beautiful, steel, Germanic castings.

Your carving, engraving and overall execution take a back seat to no one...even Ron's.

Dan 
Dan Akers

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 04:07:40 AM »
Well thanks, Dan 😂, Ron’s Fowler sure is a looker!  I’m trying to get there, lol...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2019, 08:10:51 AM »
Well I'm late getting onboard here but gotta say there is a lot of hard work and skill showing through on this one, Ed!  Fantastic job!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing