Author Topic: Beck Fowler Buttplate  (Read 1606 times)

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

Beck Fowler Buttplate
« on: March 13, 2019, 09:44:25 PM »
In process of building #RCA98 the Beck 57.  Just got the barrel insetted by Dave Keck and now realize that the buttplate I have is way too short and I'd have to add a lot of breaks to get it to work.  I have looked at many from TOW and MBS, etc. to no avail.  Any of you have something that would work or what you would suggest I modify?  Thanks.
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Gunnermike

Re: Beck Fowler Buttplate
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 01:19:18 AM »
Try this - https://mikebrooksflintlocks.com/category/for-sale/fs-castings/

Mike has photos & dimensions posted.  Mike (not Brooks)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 03:25:47 AM »
I was looking through the other day, and surprised to see that SO many buttplates and triggerguards that were commonly available for many years are simply no longer available.... particularly "early", wide buttplates and triggerguards.

You may be able to get something from Reeves Goehring, assuming he's still around making them.  You may have to get "the blob" buttplate, and work it out yourself.

That Beck buttplate looks fairly flat all around, you may be able to just make it from scratch out of sheet brass.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:46:49 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 03:24:03 PM »
I was looking through the other day, and surprised to see that SO many buttplates and triggerguards that were commonly available for many years are simply no longer available.... particularly "early", wide buttplates and triggerguards.

You may be able to get something from Reeves Goehring, assuming he's still around making them.  You may have to get "the blob" buttplate, and work it out yourself.

That Beck buttplate looks fairly flat all around, you may be able to just make it from scratch out of sheet brass.
You have been out of the loop. Reeves passed a year or more ago. And that shortage you see of brass parts is why I started selling them. I couldn't get them so I figured nobody else could either. I don't have any of the KY fowler buttplates. If I had one to cast from I'd certainly put it in my line up. (hint -hint)
 I have a lot more stuff available that I haven't pictured on my website. I'm finding there is a large investment of cash to carry a sizeable inventory. ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 04:08:23 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't think the #98 is that flat.  More like an Edward Marshall on the bend part and of course extending out to a sort of  Fleur de les towards the comb. 
Seems to be more Germanic to me.  Beck apparently made a lot of guns and for some reason, this one really interests me.  When I called Rice and ordered the barrel and gave the specs and mentioned I wanted straight rifling, there was no hesitation to the "okay".  I asked if that was common and apparently it was on a lot of big bore guns.  They said I'll love it when it comes to throwing a patched ball down the barrel.  Also, since its straight, I'll be pushing some #4 shot out of it for turkey.
Presently, I have all the parts except for the Buttplate.  Hopefully, I'll come up with one that can be modified.  I really don't think I'm up to casting or bending one yet with my current skills or resources.
Keep the ideas coming.......
Regards,
Michael
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 04:37:35 PM »
Michael,

When you get that far, I'd love to hear how the straight rifling works for you.   

All best,
R.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 06:20:35 PM »
R.
When I do getting to the point of sighting it in, I'll let you know how they fly.  Meanwhile, I'm sure others have shot a straight rifled barrel.  Maybe they can chime in on how well it worked for them versus a smoothbore.
Cheers,
Michael
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 09:07:16 PM »
Dave Keck makes a really nice Beck butt plate.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 09:24:02 PM »
Taylor, Yes he does and I use them on my Becks but, this one is more like a fowler and he doesn't seem to have one.  I was just at his place yesterday.
Michael
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 01:39:38 AM »

You have been out of the loop. Reeves passed a year or more ago. And that shortage you see of brass parts is why I started selling them. I couldn't get them so I figured nobody else could either. I don't have any of the KY fowler buttplates. If I had one to cast from I'd certainly put it in my line up. (hint -hint)
 I have a lot more stuff available that I haven't pictured on my website. I'm finding there is a large investment of cash to carry a sizeable inventory. ???

Yep, I haven't hardly even touched a flintlock in about 5 years.  That was the last rifle I made.  I'm glad I hoarded a bunch of triggerguards and buttplates 10-20 years ago!  :D  I'm finally working again on a gun I started about 7 or 8 years ago, a restocking of a rifle I made long long ago.  I couldn't even make it if I started fresh today....I couldn't get the triggerguard, and maybe not the buttplate.  I'm finally gonna start making some guns for myself, so the parts I've got saved up are gonna be MINE !  :D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 04:02:32 AM »
Buy some 1/16" or 1/8" brass and make one. They aren't that hard to make you just need to anneal often and use 260 brass or another soft alloy.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 04:25:48 AM »
I think this particular buttplate would be a good candidate for making out of sheet brass.  ;)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 05:03:44 AM »
PM sent
Andover, Vermont