Author Topic: Pistol barrel inletting  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Mauser06

Pistol barrel inletting
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:54:12 PM »
Anyone know where to send pistol barrels to be inlet?    I have 2 I'd like inlet into planks.  It'd be nice if they have wood I can buy...but I can find wood and send the barrels and wood to them

One is 10" swamped octagon.  The other is 9" octagon to round swamped. 

Thanx!

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Pistol barrel inletting
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:42:32 PM »
I can inlet your pistol barrels and drill your ramrod holes for you if you wish.  I have some pistol blanks on the shelf, what type of wood are you looking for?
David

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:23:23 AM »
I know Dave does great work but why don't you do it yourself? That would be a good first inletting project. Pistol barrels are easy to inlet. I inlet a 10' Oct to round swamp barrel at a recent living history demonstration in about 3 hours while speaking to bystanders and onlookers. It really is not too difficult and you will learn a new skill to add to your inventory. Just a suggestion.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 12:34:00 AM »
Dave, I sent you a message. I am going to send a 2nd message soon...

Deepcreek, I tried....and it was slow going...and didn't turn out well.  I was hesitant to draw my lines and really knock out the initial hunk of wood though. 

I'm to the point of having more projects than time...I rather have it done well so I can work on the rest.  Yes...the rest of the build take a lot of time as well...lol

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 12:57:34 AM »
I hear you Mauser!  It does go slow at first but it will go faster with practice. If you get a chance, on Jack Brooks website he has a great tutorial on barrel inletting. One tool I use that really speeds things up is a big veiner gouge. I just draw on the profile of the barrel on the top of the blank and whale away staying inside those lines. Then it is just a matter of final fitting. When I started out years ago, I started trying to do the final inletting way too soon and many newer builders I have worked with tend to do the same thing. I am a slow learner so it took me years to figure out to make my rough cut to close to final depth. But, if you send it to Dave, you know it will be done right. Good Luck!
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 05:36:13 AM »
Personally, I don't have time to inlet barrels.  Too many hours.
That's why Mr Rase does mine.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 06:54:27 AM »
That was me...I whacked out a Grove but it wasn't near deep enough...then ran into issues keeping it level and straight.  I had a lot of hours into it and gave up...I will one day put a slightly bigger barrel into that plank...

David is going to fix me up!

Like smallpatch, I rather spend the time on the rest of the build....I'd like to get to the point of finishing a nice build every couple months. I've found that most"tasks" can be completed in a few hours...I'm good with that....I like being able to sit down and say "tonight I will inlet the lock plate" etc etc.  When I don't have a lot of time I file metal.....lol.  Always something to file on!   

Anyways, David will get my barrels inlet and he may even have some wood for me. If not I can surely find pistol planks. 

Davemuzz

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 03:33:15 PM »
  Always something to file on!   

Ain't that the truth!!  No matter how good it looked the last time you "finished" it, when you pick it up again....there's just these two more spots...... ;)

Offline 45-110

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 03:39:36 PM »
curious thought...........if one can not inlet a 10" barrel, how does one inlet a lock and the rest of the parts? its the same technique.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
Anyone know where to send pistol barrels to be inlet?    I have 2 I'd like inlet into planks.  It'd be nice if they have wood I can buy...but I can find wood and send the barrels and wood to them

One is 10" swamped octagon.  The other is 9" octagon to round swamped.

Thanx!
Mark Weader
Jack's Mountain Stock Company
Cave Lane
McClure PA

Sorry I don't have phone or St Number with me. Mark does a great job on rifles and pistols.

Dave Rase does a great job, depends on where you live Dave is west coast and Mark Weader is east coast. Of course pistol blank are much cheaper to ship than rifle blanks
Dennus
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:03:09 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson