Author Topic: 1792 Contract Rifle- To Line or Not to Line  (Read 3633 times)

pflyman

1792 Contract Rifle- To Line or Not to Line
« on: June 29, 2009, 03:29:54 PM »
I am in the last stages of finishing Don Stith's 1792 Contract Rifle.  I have not yet drilled the touch hole.  While I previously purchased a White Lightning vent hole liner, I have attempted to stick to a historic look to the rifle.  For example, the lock and barrel have been polished bright.  I am now thinking that I should dispense with the liner for the time being.  If ignition is too slow or if time and use end up eroding the touch hole, I could install it at that time.  Any thoughts?

Finally, because the lock and barrel are bright, I am looking for input on treatment to prevent rust.  Is light oil the solution?  I finished the stock with a paste of BLO/turpentine/beeswax.  Has anyone considered using that on the barrel?

Dave

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: 1792 Contract Rifle- To Line or Not to Line
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »
Skip the vent liner and see how it works for you that way. You can always go back and add the liner.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 05:53:41 PM »
If it's a reenactor gun only shooting blanks, just drill the hole.  If you will use it for hunting or target shooting and want it to go off reliably, install the liner.  If you have the means to cone the inside of the hole, then you can also use the drilled method.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 05:54:26 PM »
You can also cone the vent from the inside to get vent liner type ignition.

I've done it with a small ball cutter in dremmel tool.  Works well for me.

Stophel has posted a home made case hardened V cutter made from a nail.
try searching coned vent.......................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:10:23 PM »
Jim Chambers has some liners made from barrel steel.  Now you can have it both ways.  Liner and traditional look.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 02:20:12 AM »
I often cone the barrel from the outside with a cone shaped Dremel bit. Works great.