Author Topic: Need help ID'ing Flintlock Pistol  (Read 3114 times)

Offline gibster

Need help ID'ing Flintlock Pistol
« on: July 05, 2009, 02:28:03 AM »
This came through the local gun show today and I am needing some help identifying just what it is.  The story that came with the gun is that the neighbor's husband brought this back from Germany during WW2.  This one, and another one like it were hanging in a pub that he and a friend frequented while there.  There was a plaque that read that they were used in a duel by ??????? and ??????? and neither survived.  The pistols hung in the pub ever since.  Anyway, the solders ended up with the pistols with an agreement that whoever lived the longest would get the other pistol.  Over the years the one pistol disapeared.  The neighbors husband died and the widow wanted to sell this one.  Since brought back from Germany, it has been stored in a closet.  I have no idea if the story is true or not, but the pistol is now mine.  I think that the pistol was a secondary military piece and was made with no ram rod.  It mikes out to a ,70 caliber smooth bore.  The wood appears to be Walnut and is in great shape.  The barrel is dated 1828 (twice) and there is a date on the lock, but is partly hidden by the frizzen spring.  There are what initials in varoius places on the pistol and some proof/inspectors marks on the barrel and lock.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Gibster

Offline TPH

Re: Need help ID'ing Flintlock Pistol
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 02:44:38 AM »
Not secondary military, I believe that it is purely military, possibly Austro-Hungarian? The eagle on the rear of the lock appears to be the A-H double headed eagle and that is the location where it should be. Ramrods were often carried separately by being permanently attached to a cavalry trooper's crossbelt so the fact that it does not have one is not unusual. Maybe JV Puleo will give us the benefit of his knowledge? Congratulations, it is a beautiful pistol, you were lucky to get it, wish I could be of more assistance.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:43:36 AM by TPH »
T.P. Hern

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »
Gibster,
My guess is that they are model 1828 Austrian cavalry pistols.  The mark on the lock is Austrian.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »
I wanted to check something in the office first but you're spot on... Austrian cavalry pistols.

Offline gibster

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 05:50:18 AM »
Thanks guys for your help.  I wasn't sure what they were.  I don't typically buy military stuff, but the price was right and the condition is great.  Thanks again.
Gibster