Author Topic: In search of gunsmith Leroy Kaup, Mifflinburg, PA  (Read 6659 times)

Offline Loudy

In search of gunsmith Leroy Kaup, Mifflinburg, PA
« on: July 06, 2009, 05:21:41 AM »
I have seen a few references to a gunsmith named "Leroy Kaup".  He supposedly worked in the Mifflinburg (West Buffalo Twp.) area of Union County, PA in about 1850.  I have not been able to find any documentation (census records etc.) regarding a gunsmith by this name.  I have lots of information regarding Levi Kaup b. 1823, son of Christian Kaup.  Perhaps the references to "Leroy Kaup" are misinterpretations of the script entry for Levi Kaup in the 1850 census records?  Maybe there was a Leroy Kaup and I just couldn't find him?

Mark Loudenslager         

Offline Don Getz

Re: In search of gunsmith Leroy Kaup, Mifflinburg, PA
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 03:19:48 PM »
Mark......I can't verify the name, or the fact that he worked in Mifflinburg, but, I think Dr. Persing of Lewisburg has a rifle
by him.    By the way, you left some pictures of your "chunk" gun here.   Should I mail them to you or give them to you at
the CLA show?.................Don

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 06:43:39 PM »
Mark--

As I indicated in our conversation at the KRA show, I recently purchased Levi Kaup's ledger.  There are several references and entries for family members, including Elias Kaup, but no Leroy.  I have seen rifles signed Leroy Kaup, but they are generally stamped "Leroy Kaup" and are later than Levi's work.  I always assumed that Leroy was a son, but I query Leroy was Levi's nickname?  Levi signed most of his early guns "L * K" so there would be no indication whether this is Levi or Leroy.  I have some materials on the Kaups, as I know several families that are descendants and I will see if I can piece this together with some documentation for you.  If Leroy really does not exist, then I would lean toward "Leroy" being Levi's nickname.

Jeff Spotts

Offline Loudy

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 06:51:36 AM »
Don,

I've just about convinced myself that Levi & Leroy are the same gunsmith.  It's easy to see how the old script writing on the original 1850 census document for West Buffalo Twp., Union County, PA could be misread as Leroy Kaup instead of Levi Kaup. 

Thanks for the chance to stop by a couple weeks ago.  I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to talk Snyder County guns etc. with you.  Just hang-on to the photos I left behind.  See you in Lexington. 

Jeff,

Thanks for looking into this Levi/Leroy Kaup identity issue.  The Levi Kaup ledger book you recently came across sounds like a real tresure.  Hopefully you'll glean some interesting information from the document. 

Take care,
Mark Loudenslager

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »
Mark.....since I talked to you recently, I have found another Joe Long rifle.   Don't actually own it yet, but am working on it.
Needs a little work, as the usually do, but a pretty nice gun.    Will bring those pictures along to the CLA.......Don

Offline RifleResearcher

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:05:19 AM »
Mark,
I also have a ledger of sorts that belonged to Levi Kaup.  It is actually some kind of German language money conversion table?, printed in Philly in 1817.  Inside the front cover it reads, "Levi Kaup Union County From Anna 1824"  The last few pages have in tiny print a monthly running account for 1825-1827.  It is not very detailed, usually a single sentence per month, but interesting.  Most seem to be references to buying or selling powder and lead, stocks, locks, and rifles.  Do you know if Anna was his wife? 
Alan
"Sarcasm: The last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded."
- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Offline Loudy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 04:40:46 PM »
Alan, 

Thank you for the information.  Your Levi Kaup document sounds interesting.  I believe the "Anna" referenced in your book may have been Levi's mother.  His mother's name was Anna M. Bensinger (Kaup).  See the rather lengthy reference below.  Interesting to note that Levi's father Christian Kaup settled on a farm that was originally owned by the Dreisbach family of well know gunsmiths. 

Mark Loudenslager

John Kaup's Biography
Commemorative Biographical Record of Central Pennsylvania J H Beers & Co, publisher, 1898 (pp 944-945]

JOHN KAUP. A cultured mind and polite manner adorn any calling, and, in the progressive and enterprising agriculturist whose history we now enter upon, they are leading characteristics, and have had no small place in gaining for him the influential place which he holds in the community.
Mr. Kaup is the owner of a fine farm of 127 acres in Buffalo township, Union county - the old Martin Dreisbach estate - and his residence occupies the site of the original dwelling built by Mr. Dreisbach in 1797. As a citizen Mr. Kaup is well known for activity in forwarding various helpful movements, especially those which relate to educational and religious advancement, and his views have weight among all classes. He is of an old Pennsylvanian family; his grandparents, Christian and Anna M. (Bensinger) Kaup, came from Berks county to this section in 1815, locating in West Buffalo township. Christian Kaup was a staunch Whig, and in religious faith was a Lutheran, and he became one of the prominent citizens of his locality in his day. For a time, in early manhood, he followed the weaver's trade, but later he engaged in farming. He died at the age of seventy-six, and his wife passed away in her eighty-ninth year. Of their large family, several died in infancy. The others were: Fred, who died in Oregon; Catherine, who married (first) George Consor, and (second) Mr. Garrett, and died in Illinois; Christian, Jr., who died in Center county; Susan, wife of John Gable, of Osage, Iowa; William, who was a resident of Oak Hall, Penn., died in October, 1897; Elias, who died in West Buffalo township, Union county; Isaac, who died in Kansas; Levi, our subject's father; and Maria, who became Mrs. Jacob Miller, of West Buffalo township, and died in February, 1898.
Levi Kaup, who is now a venerable resident of Union county, was born in West Buffalo township January 31, 1823. During his active years he was a gunsmith, and he also owned and operated a farm in his native township. He was married there to Miss Elizabeth Hoffman, daughter of Joseph Hoffman, a well-known resident of the same locality. She as a devout Lutheran in her religious views, and her death, which occurred April 7, 1890, was deeply mourned. Her remains now rest in the cemetery at Mifflinburg. Two children, William E. and Mary L., did not live to adult age, the latter dying when four years old. Two sons survive, John, our subject, and Alfred, a resident of Mifflinburg, and the father makes his home with them, visiting them alternately.

Offline RifleResearcher

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 08:26:58 PM »
Mark,
  Was there possibly an elder and younger Levi Kaup?  The little book I have clearly has dates for gunsmithing activities of someone named Levi Kaup, in Union County, between 1824 and 1827, when "your" Levi Kaup would have been 1 to 4 years old, and not likely yet a gunsmith. 
Alan   
"Sarcasm: The last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded."
- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Offline Loudy

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »
Alan,

I founds some records claim that gunsmith Levi Kaup had a first cousin also named Levi Kaup.  The cousin Levi Kaup was born in 1815 and was the son of John Kaup, gunsmith Levi Kaup's father's older brother.  Cousin Levi was born in PA, was a carpenter and farmer in Seneca Co., OH and later was a farmer in Fayette Co., IL.  I could find no records indicating that cousin Levi ever worked as a gunsmith. 

Sorting out these Union County Kaup's has been a challenge. 

Mark   

Offline RifleResearcher

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 11:21:35 PM »
Mark,
When I get a chance I will transcribe the entries and throw them here.
Alan
- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 05:10:30 AM »
Alan--

Your "journal" must be from an earlier Levi Kaup.  Not sure where he fits into this all, except for what Mark provided.  My journal has Levi's whole career from 1844 through the 1880s, which has a mix of farming but mostly gunmaking, repairs and various other activities.  I also purchased an early workbook from Levi's school days, which includes math that is quite sophisticated for a West Buffalo Township farmer of that era.  Turns out that schools were better than we thought without any "new math" back in those days.

Jeff

Offline RifleResearcher

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 11:37:40 PM »
Jeff and Mark,
If you are interested, I might make it to the CLA this year.  I can bring it if one or both of you will be there as well?
Alan
- Fyodor Dostoevsky