Author Topic: mainspring removal help  (Read 1319 times)

Offline L. Akers

mainspring removal help
« on: October 07, 2019, 07:26:41 PM »
I have to remove the mainspring from this pistol to do a stock repair.  For you folks in the know, what is the proper way to cramp the spring for removal and re-installation?  I especially don't want to mar the gun or break the spring.  I've done a lot of gunsmithing but I've never removed one of these hooked-in type springs.  I'd appreciate some help.

chubby

Re: mainspring removal help
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 08:00:58 PM »
You could remove the hammer if centered that may work??   Chubby

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 08:29:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure they made a specific tool for that back then...

First you'll need to remove the safety lever by tapping out the pin.  It's tapered, so be sure to check which way it goes.  This mechanism comes apart in two pieces.   I take a small vise grip with brass padding the jaws, and the upper jaw ground to fit between the tang and the leaf of the spring.  Bring the hammer back slightly, apply the vise grip from the side, then ease the hammer down to take the pressure.  Next unscrew the hammer bolt, then the screw(s) that hold the tang to the frame.  The upper assembly will lift off, allowing you to release the mainspring and remove it.  To reinstall do the same thing in reverse - the mainspring can be tricky to recompress! 
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 07:10:41 PM »
I'd like to see the same picture but with the hammer on half cock, and on full cock.  The hammer will compress the spring.  If there is room beneath the lower leaf for a thin clamp, simply cut a rectangular notch in a piece of 1/4" steel plate that will just slip over the mainspring when it is compressed.  Once in place, slowly release the tension on the hammer.  The mainspring will stay compressed.
then follow Eric's instructions on disassembling the upper and lower halves, and the mainspring can be slipped off it's hook.  Maybe.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 01:55:21 AM »
Years ago I made about ten sets of parts for a gun just like that so if you do break the spring I probably have at least 10 springs like that.  The best I can remember You put the hammer on full cock and then clamp the spring down in that position, then remove the hammer and the lower part of the gun. Then release the spring.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.