Author Topic: Ramrod channel and hole first?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline wmrike

Ramrod channel and hole first?
« on: October 01, 2019, 04:21:29 PM »
Ramrod channels are the wildcard of stocking.  There are many posts about how to work around an errant drill that prove the point.  So, I'm wondering out loud here if anyone has routed and drilled the ramrod hole first, and then aligned the barrel channel over the ramrod?

Offline fahnenschmied

Re: Ramrod channel and hole first?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 05:16:11 PM »
I don't see the advantage - I'd rather have my rammer channel parallel to the lower view of the fore-end, as much as possible.  The half dozen or so I've made from rough planks have all had successfull holes drilled in the channels - perhaps because my somewhat crude drills beaten or filed from cold rolled steel did not drill very fast.  I am still astounded how Japanese matchlocks had the rammer holes drilled straight through three or four feet of fore-end, when I've seen stocks push a drill out the side or bottom in ten or twelve inches. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Ramrod channel and hole first?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 05:30:07 PM »
I’ve had barrels inlet in blanks with hole drilled then let the barrel on a little deeper to reduce the web. If you have a good square blank and spend some time making sure the ramrod groove is correct the drilling mostly works just fine. Just don’t horse it. Worst I’ve has is ramrod right under the front guard extension. Usually only if I’m trying for that super lean look.
Andover, Vermont