Author Topic: bad frizzen  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

bad frizzen
« on: October 05, 2019, 02:21:18 AM »
  I have a frizzen that won't spark two of my friends tried no luck sent it to a pro with the same results.I want to find someone to put a new face on it. I picked it up at Lapper Mich. show it goes on a 70 cal. Yager  style rifle on the inside of the lock plate is  R. Gale 8201.If someone can help me out I sure will appreciate it.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: bad frizzen
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:04:03 AM »
What lock is it?  A picture would let us identify it.

How hard is the frizzen?  If the frizzen surface won't file (a good file skates across the surface), then it's plenty hard, and your problem lies elsewhere.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 03:30:47 AM »
If the frizzen is carbon steel, and whoever tried hardening it, didn’t temper it afterwards, it might be too hard. If its not carbon steel, you will have to carberize it with a hardening compound, or half sole it.

Hungry Horse

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 04:14:07 AM »
 it is very hard getting a few white sparks  I think a half sole is what it needs ,but I am far from an expert  I have no way of posting a picture .

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 06:57:15 AM »
White sparks---way too hard
Bake it your kitchen over for an hour at 450 degrees
Sizzling orange is what you're after

Offline G_T

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 08:02:03 AM »
My kitchen oven it ends up being 350 degrees, protected by a couple layers of foil to keep it from being overheated by radiant heat from the elements. Oven temps are not accurate. Best to creep up on it vs go too far IMHO.

Gerald

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 06:40:12 PM »
If its that hard you will need to anneal it before you try to half sole it. If it will harden that hard IMO half soling it would be a giant step backwards. Just put it in the oven as mentioned. An oven that won’t get above 350 degrees is either broken, or is a toy oven.

Hungry Horse

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 11:15:15 PM »
Should have said that orange sizzling sparks are what you're looking for.
I just lay mine on a steel pie plate. Preheat the oven before you put the frizzen in it.
Tony

Offline 45-110

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 11:28:25 PM »
R. Gale was (Ron Gobieskies spell??) trade mark for his locks. Old Muzzle Blasts (1980's) show his location at the time as Warren Mich. I built several of his lock kits at the time and found the parts to be hard from the get go, and needed annealing to drill and tap. Last time I heard from Ron he was Living in Armada Mich. I am sure your frizzen needs a proper heat treat to function correctly.
kw

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 11:36:46 PM »
I use a hot plate with an iron skillet filled with sand to temper.  Use a digital thermometer to monitor the temp.  One will need to "babysit" the controls and sneak up on the target temp.  I found that ovens, even when monitoring with a thermometer, just don't seem to cycle in the target temp range.  This has worked well for me with frizzens, triggers and tools.

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 03:12:10 AM »
 Thanks everyone for all your help will follow through with your info.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 06:20:48 AM »
I bought a used toaster oven at a thrift store...in good shape, for $5.  Using an oven thermometer, I found a spot on the dial that was 375 deg. F. and made a mark there so I can set it properly, and expect the correct temperature.  I soak a frizzen for an hour at 375 deg F and have had excellent results...thank you Jerry Huddleston.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline G_T

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »
Hungry Horse, what I meant was my oven's thermometer was reading low about 50 degrees. I drew a frizzen back too far trusting the oven the first time. I now check temp with a good IR probe.

Gerald

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 08:53:26 PM »
I wouldn't trust an IR probe.  A cheap thermocouple and measuring device is a much better choice.  The IR probes are cheap and easy to use, but there are a lot of factors that can effect the results you get.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 09:09:42 PM »
I agree with Jim Kibler.   I wouldn't trust a ir pyrometer,  There are some things they just don't work on well.  In all the years I only had one frizzen I couldn't get to spark well.  I discovered it was cast out of a alloy that had a lot of chrome in it.  It sparked but not very good.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.