Author Topic: Saskatchewan  (Read 2694 times)

Offline lfischeriii

• Starting Member
Saskatchewan
« on: December 16, 2019, 10:10:43 PM »
Was wondering if any one is from Saskatchewan? I planning my yearly bear hunt, I've only hunted bear with longbow and recurve but thought I might try one of my Flintlocks. I'm looking for information, rules regulations, ect. I would be flying in so I would have to find a source for black powder, also would love to use a flint pistol but in not sure if that is even legal.

Thanks Larry

Online bob in the woods

Re: Saskatchewan
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 04:19:31 PM »
One thing for certain.....leave the pistol at home. It's not legal to hunt with one anywhere in Canada as far as I know. Plus, even though it's a flintlock, it's still a restricted weapon here, so registration , paper work etc just to bring it here is onerous .

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »
As Bob says, Larry.
Only pistols with any freedom up here are antiques, but not allowed for hunting.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 12:05:07 AM »
I have hunted in 3 Canadian provinces and getting black powder across the border is no problem, 500 grams I think. Forget bringing a hand gun to hunt with and if you plan on going up north for several trips a PAL card might be a good choice. You can Google pal card for info.

Adrian

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 12:52:54 AM »
Where are you planning to hunt? Becky at Hillfolk muskets in Senlac has all the muzzle loading supplies including black powder

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 12:59:23 AM »
I forgot to mention, flintlock rifles, smoothbore long arms , are not technically covered by the firearm licensing requirements here in Canada, so you will not have a problem bringing them in.  You might want to stop on the American side of the border to get a certificate verifying ownership before entering Canada , in order not to be hit with taxes when bringing it back into the States

Offline lfischeriii

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 02:09:13 AM »
Good information, I've bowhunted bear in several of the provinces, just always wanted to use one of my Flintlocks. We'll fly into Saskatoon, than it's about an 8 hour drive north.  Sounds like it should be no problem to fly in with the longrifle, obviously, I won't be able to bring black powder. Cabelas in Saskatoon says they stock Goex??? If not I'll need to find a source to purchase.

Thanks again, Larry

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 03:53:37 AM »
Wow, 8 hrs. North of saskatoon should almost be in the NWT.  :o  :)

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 08:59:20 PM »
Wish I were going with you, Larry.  I'd be able to meet Daryl, Richard (Pukka Bundook), and Taylor, not to forget Bob-in-the-Woods!
Maybe by next season I will have finished this .54 cal. St Louis Rifle!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 01:27:54 AM »
Wish I were going with you, Larry.  I'd be able to meet Daryl, Richard (Pukka Bundook), and Taylor, not to forget Bob-in-the-Woods!
Maybe by next season I will have finished this .54 cal. St Louis Rifle!

Now THAT would be a great visit, Craig. While Richard lives only about 8 hours (500miles), give or take East of Taylor and I, friend Bob lives
 about 3,000 miles East of here.   Sask. is just a stone's throw (next Province) East of Richard's diggin's.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 01:30:42 AM »
  A bit of a drive  ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 01:50:30 AM »
My wife and I did that drive and more, 2 summers ago. One more "thing" off the bucket list.
19,200 kilometers, total.
Daryl

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 02:04:59 AM »
My wife and I did that drive and more, 2 summers ago. One more "thing" off the bucket list.

That's about 12,000 miles (I Think) for us "Metricricly"  challenged folks  :D

Tim

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 02:14:48 AM »
That would be a great drive for Sunny (my service dog) and I to take.  Would have to stop for Sunny about every 2 or 3 hours, but being retired it's not like I don't have the time.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 08:56:32 AM »
That's about 12,000 miles (I Think) for us "Metricricly"  challenged folks  :D
 Tim

Yes it was a good 2-month trip, Tim - 4,200 liters of diesel fuel used as well. I was pulling my trailer, BTW.

Craig, you would be most welcome for a visit.
Daryl

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 07:32:34 PM »
Soon as I find a decent house to buy, I will start planning.  Since Lake Superior is in the way, I'd probably go up through Michigan, then west through Canada.
Lot of territory this once world traveler has not seen.  And yes, I will bring my ML (s) with me!
Craig Wilcox

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2019, 11:32:36 PM »
Sounds great, Craig - flinters are easier as not deemed to be firearms!
Daryl