Author Topic: Saturday at Dixon's II  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Saturday at Dixon's II
« on: July 26, 2009, 06:04:06 AM »

More ALR Shirts at the Hall.

Some Fine horns

One of the fine original Lehigh's on display

Another one

Allen Martin

Guess Who

Cool Horn
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

OFFSHORE

Re: Saturday at Dixon's II
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 06:49:16 AM »
That is a great horn!

Very creative.

Ky Ken

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 01:49:42 PM »
Thanks for the pics

smorrison

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:21:36 AM »
I'm responsible for that horn.  It is one I made for a gentleman in Texas and he allowed me to bring it to Dixon's (thanks Jason)  This is the result of the judging:

A 1st class award, Best Creativity, and Best Folk Art.  Needless to say, I'm numb!  This was my first time at Dixon's and had a blast.  It was great to see some of the ALR members and meet fellow HCH Guild members.

Scott

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 03:28:46 AM »
Congratulations Scott on your nice work and good fortune.
Roger Fleisher

Online G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 04:17:12 AM »
Scott, again great job with the horn and congrats again for the awards.  Bet you're creative juices are going again for next year's submission.  Hmm, something involved with a pelican perhaps?? ;D
And, thanks for joining me at the HCH booth.  It was a great way to meet all the others.  Send me your address and I'll get a funnel out to you.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

dickert54cal

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 04:59:31 AM »
Bill---I wonder who those two gents are sharing an intense conversation??? LOL  I was told the new grey ALR made me look a tad bit "hefty"---HMMMM back to the green.  Hey thanks for the conversation at Cabelas....it was a big help as to how to design my new storage unit. ;)

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 04:27:59 PM »
Scott,
Super horn. Very cool. Reminded me of Pacific Northwest art.
 I heard you are responsible for salad bar sneeze shield being installed over the judging table next year; something must stop the drool. You should feel guilty.
Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 10:03:10 PM »
 I saw that horn when it first went on the table and thought, what great idea. Congratulation.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:13:44 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 02:38:26 AM »
Alex, I'de have to say my pumpkin orange shirt makes me look a bit heftier than you. I need a new shirt.

dickert54cal

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 04:26:19 AM »
Tom ---- I think next year we suggest a color that makes all of us "LOOK"  20 pounds lighter.  It was a pleasure to spend time with you and your wonderful build.  How did she fair with the judges?  That day went way too fast.  Now I have to start the countdown to next year.  I am still at a loss for that special piece of wood to go with my large Siler lock and 44" inch 54cal Rice barrel ..... I'm slowly piecing together my next gun---I think I will have a builder nearby build it since I have always wanted one of his ---then I will take a class there and build one from scratch.

smorrison

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 04:57:36 AM »
Hey thank you all!  Gary, I was in such a daze that I plumb forgot that I wanted one of your funnels.  I'll get my address to you.  I really enjoyed Dixon's and meeting some of you.  Gary, spending Saturday at the HCH table with you and Brad was the most enjoyable part. ;D
Scott

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 05:09:59 PM »
I think that's a cardboard cut out of Allan Martin. Every year somebody posts a picture of him and he's in exactly the same position with the same unfinished gun.....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »
"I think that's a cardboard cut out of Allan Martin. Every year somebody posts a picture of him and he's in exactly the same position with the same unfinished gun....."

This way, he can maintain a presence and meanwhile sit down at the Krumsville Inn all day drinking cheap beer.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 05:53:12 PM »
Scott...  Really cool horn, I also took a couple of pictures of it.  Congrats!

Eric K...  We missed you!  Wanted to bend your ear about oil and finishes...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline AMartin

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 02:47:47 PM »
OK you funny guys ......... can't you see I'm working hard ...... I need to figure out a way to make the ol cardboard move a bit ... you know like on "Home Alone" .....
Adding a bit of grey to the head and puffing out the belt-line keeps it real !!

But all in all it was a super fun weekend , making new friends & keeping up with ol ones !!!

Allen