Author Topic: Varnish or Shellac on the Barrel  (Read 4638 times)

Offline MKemper

Varnish or Shellac on the Barrel
« on: July 24, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
Over the years, I've noticed a lot of original rifles that have a coating of varnish or shellac on the  barrel.  What's some opinions on this?  Do you think any of these had this applied by the original maker to prevent surface rust or to enhance appearance?  Anyone doing this now?

Offline duca

Re: Varnish or Shellac on the Barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 04:24:54 PM »
i have a rifle built by jim searles. .36 cal rifle. his company was J P Gunstocks. early 90"s
this rifle has what appears to be some type of varnish on the barrel that has held up really well. hope that helped a little.
                               Anthony.............
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline rick landes

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:07:52 PM »
I finish a browned barrel with a couple of coats of BLO just prior to waxing. I do not know what the originals had on them; this is just what I do.

We just had a Navy contract here that required the parts to be filled and then emptied with BLO for a rust preventative. I guess that tells me that the coating is a good idea for a more durable surface. :)
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 05:33:36 PM »
I think that if the shellac or varnish was original, it would show wear at the carry point and at the muzzle.  Perhaps is was done in the intervening years to enhance appearance.  I have heard that certain original finishes were shellaced, such as heat treating/casehardening colors on locks and small parts, as these finishes are not particularily durable.

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 03:10:43 AM »
I know of an original sharps carbine (the kind that uses combustable cartridges) that has traces of varnish covering a thin brown finish on the barrel. It would appear to be the original finish. I have the impression that was a common way to finish a gun. Could be wrong though!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 04:28:07 AM »
Barrels were browned and then given a coat of linseed.  This sealed the pitting and prevented future rusting.  Rust always starts in pits and migrates in.  Most of the linseed would wear off with use, leaving the pits sealed.  This is recommended in several old 19th century gunsmith manuals.

Museums and such places have a habit of varnishing metal to conserve it from further deterioration, often the whole gun lock, stock and barrel.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline duca

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 05:25:47 AM »
cool. if i remember the barrel was alittle tacky when i got it. thanks
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

hyltoto

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »
I don't recogognize the initials blo mentioned above, can someone fill me in?

hyltoto

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 05:16:56 PM »
ok, I just figured it out, boiled lindseed oil, man I need some coffee........

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 07:27:19 PM »
Hey, its Saturday, you're entitled! ;) ;D :D ;D :D And you aren't at Dixon's either I take it?? >:( >:(
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 07:27:35 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 07:31:04 PM »
TOF's info is similar to some things I have read. When I finish the gun, I put the last few coats of Chambers Oil Varnish on with the gun assembled except for the lock and I ru  the varnish on wood and metal alike, Then coat with a heavy coat of Renaissance wax. Barrels don't change much in appearance over 5-6 years anyway.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming