Author Topic: Fixing an old powder horn  (Read 1795 times)

Offline JEH

Fixing an old powder horn
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:06:22 PM »
I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times but I couldn't find anything on a search of this site. I have a nice old double twist horn that is a great match for a 1820ish North Carolina flinter. Problem is there is a small hole in it bout midway down its length on the topside. Thought about trying to fish some epoxy on a wire thru the spout to get there but that doesn't seem easy to do. Thought about using some gas tank sealer too. Whats the best angle of attack?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Fixing an old powder horn
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 11:29:11 PM »
Send a PM to DougS here on the forum. He and Jack Duprey repaired this old horn of mine with a Pewter tip and leather repair.

I’m afraid, outside epoxy or some sort of band this may be it. Others will pipe in.

Offline JEH

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 01:59:27 AM »

Thanks Bob. Here's my problem. First time trying to upload a photo. See if it works

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 02:05:19 AM »
Personally, as small as that is, I’d just epoxy it from the outside and sand flush but I’m no expert on horn repair. There are guys here that are and they will pipe in. There’s less traffic here on the weekend. Surprising considering all the retired fellers but there you go.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 04:16:00 AM »
If it were mine, and I was going to use it, I think I’d just rub some softened bees wax into that tiny hole and buff lightly with a cotton cloth...so as not to destroy the patina of the piece. With the stapled repair on the big end, that horn has tons of character already.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline JEH

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 04:37:21 AM »
Yeah that's probably the best approach. I wish I could say my GGGGrand daddy carried it from the Blue Ridge to the Illinois territory but... I picked it up for a buck at a flea market in Burlington Iowa. Thanks guys
Jeff

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 07:23:32 AM »
Gel control tip cyanoacrylic would work nicely.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 05:10:37 PM »
 Nice old horn, I wouldn't just try filling the hole. A patch would look and work much better. Make a paper pattern, it will be cone shaped, that fits around the horn. Use it to cut a thin piece of rawhide that is a bit shorter than your pattern. Soak it in water until it is very flexible, wrap it around the horn and see how it fits, trim to fit, there should be a bit of a space between the ends because when you put it on the horn it is going to stretch a bit more. Stitch it together off the horn, you can butt stitch the ends but an over lap works well.
Once you have the cone made wet it again and slid it down on the horn, pull it down tight. As it dries it should tighten up but if you want you can smear a little glue on the inside before you put it one. Just make sure and wipe off the excess. If you want you can stain it before you put it on, strong Tea or Coffee works well on wet rawhide or you can stain it after it is on. Another option is to leave it as is and put Brown shoe polish on it and buff it after it dries. It should look like it is an old repair.
 Hope I covered everything, if not just ask.

Tim C.

Offline JEH

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 02:21:35 AM »
Thanks guys. Guess I didn't consider a band repair. And it is a southern rig. Been a metal fabricator for more years than I care to think about. Maybe a thin aged iron ring drawn down over it would work too. Somebody in the past decided that would fix the crack on the butt end. Have to ponder it some more.
Jeff

Offline Kary

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 03:41:33 AM »
I’ve fixed homes like that before with 2 part epoxy mixed heavily with horn dust.  Also have used the same epoxy with saw dust....when dried it actually just looks like part of the horn.

Offline JEH

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 03:49:45 AM »
Thanks Kary. I like the horn dust epoxy idea. Pretty sure I have a tip around here about the same color. Thanks again all.
Jeff

Offline Kary

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 03:59:15 AM »
When it’s done I’d like to see it... good luck!