Author Topic: tools needed  (Read 3032 times)

eseabee1

tools needed
« on: July 31, 2009, 08:03:59 AM »
Hey all
I am new on here but not to blackpowder been doing it since I was little ...I was wondering I have put together a couple of kits but I want to start doing more what tools would you all recommend ..I also started making and scrimshawing horns well any help would Be appreciated

catchinzs

Re: tools needed
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:14:10 PM »
Here is a link from this site.

http://www.americanlongrifles.org/WorkShop_frame.htm

Click on "Tools List" on the left.

eseabee1

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »
Hey thanks alot  I have some but I want to set up a shop the kits I can do on the kitchen table but the wife doesn`t like it  :D

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 04:34:12 PM »
That tool list is pretty complete but ths FIRST thing you need is  a good sturdy bench with a good sturdy vice and PLENTY OF LIGHTING!!!!!! Then you can get tools as you need them. Here are a few basics that will get you started:

1) Tool SD-8 screw driver set (TOTW)
2) NO. 1293 General carving tool set (Log Cabin)
3) A set of standard wood chisels  (Lowes)
4) A variety of files and rasps
5) Sharpening stones---MANY!

This will get you started in the right direction and you can (and will) add to your collection as you need them!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!! ED
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 04:36:57 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

northmn

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 08:33:41 PM »
This gets a little more complex than you think.  From what I gathered they have found tools in original crafstmen boxes, whether gunsmith or carpenter that thye don not the use of.  One set of tools I now use quite a bit are hacksaw blades, broken and then ground into scrapers of various shapes.  Good old HS steel.  I have a 1/4 wood chisel that has built a lot of guns.  A new tool I picked up that I use is a dowel flush cut saw from Stanley.  Ground off its front edge for barrel inletting.  Depends a lot on wheter you want to build from a blank with ramrod channel and barrel inlet by someone else or from absolute scratch.  I use Surfoam rasps, the round one especially.  Some will like them some will detest them.  I also get quite a few used up chain saw files, (I burn a lot of firewood)  They can be made into very small chisels (use them quite a bit).  Also could be made into gravers? (I do not give advice on engraving nor should I). Tools get to be personal and are as much of the learning experience as the building.  Stronly concur on good vench and vice systems.

DP   

eseabee1

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 10:31:17 PM »
thanks alot I want to start building from scratch I have built a couple from kits that I got  fro track of the wolf I just want to try from nothing now starting in a bench this week ....