Author Topic: Wood Threading Box and Deer Antler  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Wood Threading Box and Deer Antler
« on: January 27, 2020, 03:31:59 PM »
I have a 1/2 inch wood threading kit I bought from Woodcraft. Has any one used one of these (die/box) to cut threads on a piece of turned deer antler?
I did not want to just try it and damaged the cutter  without first checking to see if any one else has tried it.  Thanks 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Wood Threading Box and Deer Antler
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 04:38:31 PM »
 Yes it will work but the antler has to be solid, like a tip. If you get into the pith the threads will not hold. I have taken a tip just as it comes started the tapered end into the box and threaded down until it won't go any farther and trim it up as needed.
  An option is to cut the threads on wood, Oak/Hickory seems to work best, drill a hole in the antler and glue/pin the threaded wood into it. 

Tim C.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 04:44:11 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 10:25:02 PM »
When cutting threads on wood, I have found it advantageous to soak the wood in kerosene first - couple days in a bucket takes care of that.
But I've never tried threading antler.  I suspect some prep work, like making the diameter even, would help.  Please let us know how well it works.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 11:06:21 PM »
I will let you know how it goes.  I had wanted to make a pulverin using some big junk horns I have.  The recent post got me think again about making one.   I figured I could make the spout from antler and thread it into the top. I now wish I had bought a larger diameter thread cutting kit but 1/2 inch might work.  5/8 might have been better for this if they make one that size.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 01:21:54 PM »
Tim and Craig have some good advice.  Have you thought about heating and softening the antler before trying to thread it?

Poking around YouTube may give you some ideas.  There's a bloke who flattened a horn with just his blow torch and careful heating.  I don't know how good an idea that was but, then again, you're at the end of the solar system with this notion anyway and I betcha you have some scrap to play with...

Judging by some of the example I've seen at shows, there are enough guys out there who have done it and will probably have some answers if you meet them and or they post here.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 03:30:10 PM »
I will let you know how it goes.  I had wanted to make a pulverin using some big junk horns I have.  The recent post got me think again about making one.   I figured I could make the spout from antler and thread it into the top. I now wish I had bought a larger diameter thread cutting kit but 1/2 inch might work.  5/8 might have been better for this if they make one that size.

After thinking about it if your wood threading box is like mine your threads are about 1/2-6 which is probably to course for antler and with out modification will not cut the threads far enough down so it will fit flush with the top. I would recommend standard taps and dies, 1/2-13 or 5/8-11. 
  If you start out with a piece of antler big enough to make a screw tip, let's say with 11-13 threads by the time you turn the antler down to 1/2" you will more than likely be in the pith, unless you start with a piece like this, which is solid for about the first 1 to 1 1/4".
 Another thing to think about is the size of the hole that will go through the piece. Drilling a 1/4" hole first may weaken the horn, you will only have about 1/8th" around to thread, it dose not flex and may just break off once the threading starts. Because of the size needed you would probably be better off with a good solid piece of horn rather than antler. Unless you start with a  I'm not big on saying something can't be done just that sometimes a lot of attempts need to be made before success is attained.
 My suggestions, a good solid piece of antler, standard machine taps and dies or a two piece tip with the threaded portion made of a separate piece.

Tim C.

Also how are you going to hold it to shape it, the tip?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 04:03:46 PM »
 Yes, you can straighten antler with heat, boiling it and putting it in a vice, I would suggest at least an hour more for a larger piece but you are only going to get it but so straight. I have also soaked it in Apple Cider Vinegar, no heat but I let it go for weeks and then put it in a vice. A guy told me he used a heat gun but it took some time I tried it but like the Vinegar soak better.
 I would not try cutting threads on antler while hot, no matter what the heat source. I think boiling expands it so what you started with that was 1/2" is larger and it is also softer and is not going to take the threads.

The piece on the bottom was as curved as the one on top until it was soaked in Vinegar and clamped in a vice, for 24 hours or so.

Tim C.