Author Topic: Horn Repair?  (Read 2448 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Horn Repair?
« on: January 07, 2020, 06:00:35 AM »
Figured I’d go ahead and make a separate thread on this. Guys I just got in an antique powder’s horn from the eBay. I quite fancy this horn. Simple, of a medium size, curved a bit for right-handed carry, and semi-transparent when held to a light source. It came without stopper, so I wittled one up for it this evening. But, the horn’s baseplug is leaking out air.

Seems there are a few small gaps around the plug. I’ll need to seal them up, but how? I have 2-part epoxy and natural beeswax, plus super glue gel. Should I just squirt one of those in there and pray for the best? What’s the best way, all? I’m no horner and need advice. Thanks!

-Smokey

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Horn Repair?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 06:20:38 AM »
Smokey,

I don't know if this is right or not, but I use plain beeswax to seal an old horn.  melt it in with a hot knife.
Others may know better, but mine stayed fixed and air-proof.
I waxed the plug as well, as it was V dry.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 06:39:17 AM »
I vote for the hot wax treatment. It doesn’t spoil an original horn.

The horn may be quite brittle and as it’s thin enough to be translucent I’d handle it carefully.
Andover, Vermont

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 08:05:23 AM »
Thanks, guys! I used my little bar of bee’s wax and my gas range to gently warm the wax, then rub it into the cracks like a crayon. I’d gently warm the plug and work the soft wax in to the cracks and repeated this several times. Then, I wax the entire horn. It is now 100% air tight and appears to be in perfect working order, and has a nice sheen to the wood and horn now. Excellent! Thanks so much guys! Now I just need to get a strap made up for it and I’ll be all set! :)

Offline Kary

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 07:10:43 PM »
I didn’t see this post and responded to the other one about fixing your base plug. I see that you fixed it. Good job! Hey how about some more pics of your horn? One thing I would do before making a strap is replace that screw on the base plug with a drawer pull.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 07:53:48 PM »
No the screw has to stay lol I dig the old wood screw it's real cool. I'll post more horn pictures tonight :)

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 02:05:48 AM »
I didn’t see this post and responded to the other one about fixing your base plug. I see that you fixed it. Good job! Hey how about some more pics of your horn? One thing I would do before making a strap is replace that screw on the base plug with a drawer pull.

So did I...

Track sells a nice glue in filler plug with a threaded plug attachment..
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:09:02 AM by Smo »
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 08:56:13 AM »
Thanks, friends! I’ll post some photos of the horn tomorrow when Papa Sun has awakened from the smeepy smeeps.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 06:31:42 AM »
Sorry, gang. I’ve had a wicked bout of the diarrhea today and haven’t been able to take pictures of the horn.

Please pray for me!  :(

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 08:38:12 PM »
I use watered down wood glue on the inside of the horn.  Pour it in, swirl it all around pour out excess, wipe-out the neck with a wetted cloth/patch/tow.  Allow to dry for a day or three.   

You might try this next horn or if your wax fixing doesn't hold.  I now use a heat gun for beeswax applications/finishing.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 09:52:01 PM »
(One thing I would do before making a strap is replace that screw on the base plug with a drawer pull.)

Wood screws were very common especially on Appalachian horns and it is pretty likely that this screw is origional. The majority of the screws were hand made. Tim Crosby recently made me a step horn and we opted for a wood screw for a strap hanger. Wood screws scream Appalachian made.

Regards
Frank Barker

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 03:38:56 AM »
Hey all! Here are a few shots of the horn:

Not sure if it’s a period horn or not, but it’s old and certainly has some usage to it. I like the wood screw a lot and it’s nice and solid, so it’s not going to be replaced with anything. I whittled and sanded the stopper from a piece of hickory’s wood I had onhand, and melted a bee’s wax thoroughly into the baseplug. I dig this horn! Maybe not beautiful but it has character and is just the right size.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 05:32:40 AM »
I'll say one thing for sure, the beeswax treatment really made that horn look a lot nicer!
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 05:33:29 AM »
I'll say one thing for sure, the beeswax treatment really made that horn look a lot nicer!

Comrade Bee wields great power.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 08:29:44 PM »
Smokey,

Thanks for posting the additional photos.  That is a neat horn.  The treatment at the spout end certainly adds to its appeal.

Kevin

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 01:56:08 AM »
A fine looking horn Smokey! Enjoy it!

Mike

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 07:36:23 AM »
Thanks, gang! I fashioned a strap for my horn but am suffering from an awful migraine so will post it tomorrow.

Offline Kary

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 03:46:20 AM »
That is a nice horn! Fleabay actually came through!