Author Topic: Aging question  (Read 25673 times)

Offline B.Barker

Re: Aging question
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2009, 09:18:22 PM »
I have found in life that dishonest people can take anything and make it illeagle. Does this mean we should stop manufacturing everything? No! Every one needs to use common since and the gray matter between there ears. Just my two since. ;D

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »
If I had to guess, I think the whole popularity of aged finishes on contemporary work got started with two guys - Gary Birch and Hershel House, or both, around the same time in the mid 70's.  I have seen Hershel House guns with his aged finish from 1976 or before, and Gary Birch was doing aged-looking horns, bags and other leather gear by that time as well, probably even a few years earlier from what I recall.  Not sure when Jud Brennan started doing aged finishes but I think it was not much after that - he used to share a booth with Gary at Friendship.  Steve Davis (there's a name we don't hear too much of on here but would love for folks to see more of his fantastic work) also adopted the aged finish pretty early in his work, around the early 1980s.  Of course, the basic techniques were around in the restoration community before that - probably some of the same guys that Don mentioned - as ways to help match and blend new repairs with old parts and Hershel, Gary and Bob Harn all knew these guys as well.

Don - as a sidenote, your post made me think - there are so many great contemporary builders like the guys you mentioned, who were making fantastic stuff 25-30 or more years ago, and we don't get to see much of their work - Bivins, Barr, Steve Davis, Gary Birch and others.  Some of them are on here from time to time, like Jim Chambers.  It would be great for folks to see more of the work that was going on then back in an era when there was so much less to rely on in the way of resources - parts, books, photos, etc.  We are really lucky today.

Guy
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:48:37 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2009, 10:56:09 PM »
I do not feel that being an enabler for dishonorable activity is a good thing.
Dan - You build muzzleloaders therefore you ARE an enabler by your own definition, because somebody can take one of YOUR guns, and turn it into a fake and then sell it to the uninitiated. yes it may be a bit more work than one already aged but it still gives them the a base so I suggest you stop making them if the possibility of being faked bothers you so much......
The crooks will be crooks no matter what, just ask the cops or better yet keep on on Ebay where fakes abound, and most are lousy fakes. And it's nothing new - in fact it's been going on for eons - archeologists have found ancient Egyptian goods that were faked thousands of years ago, the Romans came up with the phrase

To the uninitiated buyer a TC or CVA can just as easily be faked - your logic is faulty. And even easier are the plethora of originals out there, marked or unmarked that can be easily turned into something else by the crook - for instance knew a guy who bought up cheap old double barrels and then stamped Wells Fargo on them, which he then sold to the uninitiated as the real McCoy - he got caught eventually but who knows how many got pawned off.

And stuff does not have to be aged to be faked - in the knife world "faked" knives marked Moran, Loveless, Randall's, and especially Vietnam era "spook/SF" knives are being made and pawned off to the uninitiated for big bucks.

Bottomline - while it behooves all of us to mark our goods as well as possible, but to stop making them at all, whether aged or otherwise is nonsense and implying that anyone who builds anything that could be turned into a fraud is unneccesary and uncalled for.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline RobertS

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2009, 11:09:57 PM »
Guy M. made mention of Steve Davis, and I have an old Muzzleblasts or Muzzleloader somewhere that showcased a number of his guns, and they are extremely appealing, as Guy said.  As I recall, they were all southern flavored, Virginia, Carolina, etc.  I have often wondered what happened to him, and why I haven't seen or heard anything in the last few years about him, or seen any new work.  As I recall, his work was on a par with the best of them.  Does anyone know what happened to Mr. Davis?  

I have seriously thought about starting a thread in the contemporary longrifle collecting category entitled "Whatever happened to (you fill in the name)".  I am sure there are others out there that deserve mention.  

Speaking of fakes, I recently heard that there were more confederate bowies sold on Ebay the last few years than were ever used in the war of Northern agression.  I do think it is despicable to pawn off reproductions as authentic, but I don't think any of us should feel too badly about it, and I doubt the good folks on this forum would be tempted to do such a thing.  Let the buyer beware.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:25:13 PM by RobertS »

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2009, 12:07:06 AM »
The last I saw of Steve Davis was at the CLA show back around 2000 or 2001 - one of the last times it was up at the Drawbridge near Cincinnati - at that time he said he was getting back into building a few more guns, but still was doing mostly restoration work - fine English guns were his specialty I think.

His work is wonderful if you like that whole Woodbury style, like I do - he sort of developed his own spin on that style and his work is among the best, in my opinion.  I just wish I'd had the cash to get one of his rifles back in the day when he used to set up at Friendship...

Guy

jmforge

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2009, 12:42:23 AM »
Robert, we had an all out snarkfest on Blade Forums a while back over some "Confederate bowie knife" that showed up on Antiques Roadshow and was pronounced to be the Holy Grail by a Civil War memorablilia dealer who allegedly has a somewhat questionable reputation amongst the serious knife guys.  The thing with those bowies is that many of the originals were so crude as to look like somthing that you couldmake out of scrap oil drums. ;D  I read recently that there are only a handful of real handmade Samuel Bell knives(as opposed to the ones made in Sheffield for sale in his shop) out there today.  The implication was that there were a number of fakes.  this was probably made easier by the fact that while Bell's factory knives had his name stamped on them, his handmade stuff didn't.  My understanding is that forgery has become a major problem in the Civil War memorabilia field.  Chuck made a good point about the Vietnam era SOG knives.  They were generally made my local smiths trying to pound out their version of a Randall and have become quite valuable to collectors.  Problem is that they are rarely marked and a bit crude, so, in theory, they would be easy to fake.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2009, 02:24:19 AM »
I do not feel that being an enabler for dishonorable activity is a good thing.
Dan - You build muzzleloaders therefore you ARE an enabler by your own definition, because somebody can take one of YOUR guns, and turn it into a fake and then sell it to the uninitiated. yes it may be a bit more work than one already aged but it still gives them the a base so I suggest you stop making them if the possibility of being faked bothers you so much......
The crooks will be crooks no matter what, just ask the cops or better yet keep on on Ebay where fakes abound, and most are lousy fakes. And it's nothing new - in fact it's been going on for eons - archeologists have found ancient Egyptian goods that were faked thousands of years ago, the Romans came up with the phrase

To the uninitiated buyer a TC or CVA can just as easily be faked - your logic is faulty. And even easier are the plethora of originals out there, marked or unmarked that can be easily turned into something else by the crook - for instance knew a guy who bought up cheap old double barrels and then stamped Wells Fargo on them, which he then sold to the uninitiated as the real McCoy - he got caught eventually but who knows how many got pawned off.

And stuff does not have to be aged to be faked - in the knife world "faked" knives marked Moran, Loveless, Randall's, and especially Vietnam era "spook/SF" knives are being made and pawned off to the uninitiated for big bucks.

Bottomline - while it behooves all of us to mark our goods as well as possible, but to stop making them at all, whether aged or otherwise is nonsense and implying that anyone who builds anything that could be turned into a fraud is unneccesary and uncalled for.

I got a news flash for you THEY ALREADY HAVE SOLD ONE OF MINE FOR AN ORIGINAL (with a BS story to go along with it). Signed no less. Two antique dealers told the guy the gun was rev-war period. It was new when I shipped it in 1969. It is an irritating situation. I found out about it when he took it to a gunsmith who contacted me. I had to tell someone that the gun his deceased father bought was made by me in 1969. Its not a $#*! of a lot of fun. Since my name is on it I am forever linked to the act no matter than I had no part in the fraud.
No I don't loose sleep over it but it P***es me off anyway.

There is a fine line here and everyone knows it. Antiquing a modern arm past a certain point or reworking a 19th Century breechloader that cannot be "lettered" is enabling. I have done this last back when I was a lot less "innocent" than I am now. It never occurred to me what I had done until I got into a similar discussion back about 10-12 months(?) ago.

I know a man who some of you likely do too who made fake tinware, lot of it. Good enough to sell to dealers.
I know a man that has faked at least one Sharps (we know of) and SOLD IT but another collector at the show knew the gun by serial number so he was forced to refund and "git".
The "we are all guilty, its gone on forever so we either have to tolerate the fakery or quit" is a vacuous argument. Its justification a grade schooler would use. It is the argument of someone who does not want to address the issue or has no other argument other than "I wanna".
We have no idea how much stuff out there is fake. Everything from rifles to powder measures has been faked.

My question is how can an honorable person can disagree when I say extensively antiqued items are "enabling".
If I sell an item as new at least the perp has to do *some* work to make it a salable fake. If well "aged" he can sell it in the next 15 minutes and claim HE was sold the thing as an original since "it looked just like that when I bought it" so the faker even has a certain level of defense provided by the maker...
The ONLY reason for make a rifle that looks 200 years old is to deceive (yeah it looks cool though). There is no reason to do this for re-enacting. Look at the battlefield pickup guns from the revolution that were taken to England and saw little or no further use. They do not look like they are 200 years old.
But there are a certain number of people who see this as "cool" and don't like someone pointing out that its delusional.
I KNOW people like this stuff. I know why and I know why some people make it. I just disagree with it for reasons I have already stated.
Just because people fake watches, fake knives or SOG stuff  does not make it acceptable for making aged rev-war etc items. Personally I would need a picture of some "special ops" guy IN SE ASIA during the proper time frame with the knife  and it signed by verifiable witnesses before believing any such thing. There are far more SEALs/SF/Ranger/CIA "people" now than ever served in that capacity in VN. To the point that I initially consider anyone making such a calim to be a wannabe. When the stigma of being a VN vet decreased with the 1st Gulf War all these "VN Vets" popped out from under rocks most were not clerks or bomb loaders or even infantrymen. They are always "special", faked dd-214s etc. More fakery that in this case is a personal affront. No, I was not "a Green Beret in VN".
Maybe I am too sensitive about thieves and liars.
But I see no valid reason to make a rifle that looks 200 years old other than the maker can. It can't be right for re-enacting unless you are re-enacting the rev-war in 1975. Its like the line from the movie Jurassic Park when the guy states that they got so busy doing something because they COULD that they forgot to ask if they SHOULD.

My position appears unpopular with some here but someone has to say this.
Yes, in America people are free to do what the want so long as they accept the consequences. A person who posts here, and I respect a lot from what I have read, displayed a heavily aged rifle at a show and was surprised when he got hate mail from collectors. *Its a consequence of the behavior*. A lot of people don't care for this sort of thing. Its not paranoia or a knee jerk reaction. Some of them have likely been burned in the past and did not like it much.
A friend you knows how to make a HC correct powder horn has been attacked similarly. He also found at least one "marked" horn for sale as antique. And of course he was vilified here for mentioning it IIRC.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Leatherbelly

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2009, 03:48:38 AM »
  Different strokes for different folks. My new guns get used and are not new any more. I keep good care of them but $#*& happens,they get dinged loading them in the car,bumped at the range,scratched on the trail,all by accident of course. It's called "patina". The brass dulls,the barrel pits and that's ok by me.But,if someone wants a 200 year old looking gun,that's ok too.It's their peroggative. To me they just don't fit in my little world. My choice. Others think differently. These "old" guns would look fine on the wall and would make a good conversational piece if that's what you want.The buyer chooses and the builder builds it. The buyer is in the drivers seat when it comes to the options. He pays for what he wants.
  Fraud. As with anything,it's buyer beware.If a builder is concerned with fraud,I'm sure he will sign his work.(I'm sure all the builders in here sign their work) and if the buyer insists that he does not,well, hankypanky is in the works. A buyer must do his research also. Stupid is as stupid does,Forest Forest Gump.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2009, 04:38:13 AM »
I got a news flash for you THEY ALREADY HAVE SOLD ONE OF MINE FOR AN ORIGINAL
Dude, I've got news for you.  It was an original, just not an antique unless you go by the current philosophy that anything over 25 years old is an antique.

My position appears unpopular with some here
I don't think it's your position that is unpopular.  The way you state that position rubs many the wrong way.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2009, 11:44:31 PM »
Guys, this is a valuable discussion and so far the opinions are well thought out and clearly stated. It is a topic we all need to think about.

However, some of the posts are bordering on personal, and I editted a few sentences out of one on Friday. Remember, the rule is, you can criticize someone's position, but you may not criticize them personally.

Please continue, this is an important topic for discussion; just think before you post.

Thank you

Dale H

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2009, 12:09:21 AM »
So sign the barrels and engrave the date on the bottom flat...Just think in 200 years some collectors will be thanking you for being so considerate of history!! :o :o :o

I detest the attempts at fraud but I think aged guns are just even more interesting. Course I like beautiful new guns to...Someday I will own a Shipman built Lancaster!! And a Brooks Fowler and........(aged) and......... oh well, we can all dream, right.

Sell the truth, you cannot control what your customer does!!!

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline fm tim

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »
I believe that this thread has touched on two related issues:
1)   What looks better, aged or newly made condition.
2)   What are the ethical implications of work that appears to be old.

“What looks better”
I thought that a number of people got to the nub of the “what looks better” issue.  I believe that there were possibly 2 conclusions:
   •Different people have different ideas of what looks good to them, and they are free in this country to have their own opinions.  We probably cannot, nor should not, change their opinions
   •To paraphrase Don, If you make a living making longrifles for sale, and the marketplace wants aged rifles, you either do so, or starve.  We will not change the marketplace.

“What are the ethical implications”
The ethical side is tougher because in any line of human endeavor, especially where money is concerned, a small subset of people will do things that are not ethical.  With the spiraling prices of fine old longrifles, we are unfortunately involved in a line of endeavor there the risk of unethical behavior is higher.  We are no less at risk that fine period furniture builders.  The money involved can make complicated efforts to falsify items feasible to do if the technology to do so exists.

We all have to acknowledge that just aging a barrel is probably less of a concession to the unethical parties than making an exact duplicate of a piece prominently mentioned in the literature by an acknowledged past maker (e.g. a Dickert, a Sell, etc.). In my opinion, the+- risk of someone using our products unethically should not prevent us from providing products that appeal to ourselves, or to a customer. 

Possibly we should start a new thread (or redirect this one) that suggests ways to make unethical use of our products harder to accomplish while still acknowledging the desires of the marketplace.  One strategy would be to agree on a method of marking that will point out the actual provenance of our products ala DrTimBoone’s comment above.

As an example, look at a reproduction cap and ball revolver, and you will see the makers name prominently displayed on the barrel (Uberti, Pietta, etc).  You do not have to remove a grip, or dismount the barrel, to see it, and to remove it by filing will ruin the lines of the barrel.  It is still possible to “fake it” with welding, etc, but we will never stop such high tech efforts.

Any customer who is put off by such obvious markings is probably the one who wants to claim that the rifle was actually made by a famous maker, and that is the customer that we need to treat very carefully.
I do not believe that we can stamp out the unethical behavior by changing the quality of what we do.  Possibly we can make it a bit more difficult.

In the end, “Caveat Emptor”.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2009, 08:53:58 PM »
This discussion is almost identical to the one we had a few months ago, but more civil.  Good.

No new insights though.  Maybe some folks fret about aged rifles as fakes because of the high dollar original rifles can bring compared to bags, knives, etc, though original early horns can bring $20,000.

A top maker can get $6K-$10K for a decorated new Kentucky styled like an original and sold as a new rifle.  They can get more for the high art contemporary guns.

I'm not sure it would be worthwhile for a crook builder (if they exist) to fake a gun that might sell for $25K as a fake.  A possible faked rifle going for more than that will get a real going over in this forum and others.  A crook builder can make much more sprucing up an original, and that has been done to hundreds of originals. Flint where there never was, rifling where there never was, signature spruced up or created, carving, even patchboxes added.  I am not knocking legit restoration.

But instead some decry the possibility of fooling people by aging new guns.  Paraxoxically, that may be precisely because it is so evident and transparent and easily detected.  Low hanging fruit?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:56:18 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

hyltoto

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2009, 06:17:47 AM »
Get one that looks brand new and deer hunt it hard about 5 years. You get the best of both worlds. That is the look I try for.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2009, 06:38:29 AM »
Seems to me that this is like debating the merits of impressionism vs. realism vs. cubism etc...

As far as I'm concerned, these rifles are an art form and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And just like the paintings of the masters, there will always frauds.  Buyer beware!

If you like it... Go for it!

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:45:09 AM by Jeff Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell