Author Topic: Kalamazoo Living History Event Canceled  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Kalamazoo Living History Event Canceled
« on: March 12, 2020, 07:56:35 PM »
I just got a call from my friend Rick Lorenzen that they are cancelling the Kalamazoo Michigan Living History Show because of Corona virus concerns.  The show was set to be held March 21 & 22. 

Joel Hall

Offline FALout

Re: Kalamazoo Living History Event Canceled
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 03:12:15 AM »
I hope that doesn’t happen to the Princeton, Il show, I’ve been looking forward to looking at some old rifles.
Bob

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 03:18:37 AM »
Unfortunately I think we are going to be seeing more and more of this.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 04:25:43 AM »
This subject has me so flabbergasted. They have just cancelled all Marine basic training graduation and family day activities until further notice and my son is set to graduate in May. In this country of around 325 million, there are currently about 1000 reported positive case of this not so new coronavirus with 39 deaths, and the whole world goes crazy. Yet, 10,000-15,000 die each year from the flu, in this country and yet not even an eye batted. And to think just 3 days ago they were saying the spread was slowing down.
Psalms 144

Offline ToddCook

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 04:22:29 PM »
There is a ton of negative commenting going on social media about this, and I won't be part of it. Many would say shutting down events is over reacting, and they may be right. However:

1. There is no immunization for this such as a flu shot.
2. Mortality rates are still developing numbers, but they are clearly at a much higher percentage than the flu.
3. Isolating people and slowing the spread keeps the health care industry from being overwhelmed.
4. This does seem to be very contagious.

I am not an alarmist. I'm not panicking and I'm not buying 500 rolls of toilet paper. But I think being cautious with a disease that still has many unknowns is smart. Even if it's inconvienient.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 08:24:46 PM »
Kalamazoo Living History Show has a Facebook  page and they requested the vendors who would have been there to post there contact info on FB and many, many have done so already. Just in case you can't live without something, but it won't be the same without seeing all your friends who show up!
You don't get the close up hands-on inspection of thing online like you do in person. Oh well...
Tom C.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 08:27:05 PM »
There is a ton of negative commenting going on social media about this, and I won't be part of it. Many would say shutting down events is over reacting, and they may be right. However:

1. There is no immunization for this such as a flu shot.
2. Mortality rates are still developing numbers, but they are clearly at a much higher percentage than the flu.
3. Isolating people and slowing the spread keeps the health care industry from being overwhelmed.
4. This does seem to be very contagious.

I am not an alarmist. I'm not panicking and I'm not buying 500 rolls of toilet paper. But I think being cautious with a disease that still has many unknowns is smart. Even if it's inconvienient.

Totally agree.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 08:58:25 PM »
   Ok I'm only Asking for a friend.. If this is as bad as they say it is...How come they haven't shut down all the government buildings an such...Or am I missing something..  Also like Wall Street etcetera.......  Oldtravler

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 09:09:44 PM »
Hi Oldtraveler,
They are.  Many departments are having employees work from home but there are some functions that have to go on like defense and institutions like the CDC. As for information, I pay attention to what Dr. Anthony Fauci of NIH has to say and ignore most others.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 12:24:02 AM »
  Dave appreciate you an others advice...I don't like T.V ..so when. I need good advice I come here...far better than anything else...  Thanks again....Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 02:18:32 AM »
I hope that doesn’t happen to the Princeton, Il show, I’ve been looking forward to looking at some old rifles.
I was there. Full show. There were no deaths of those attending that I am aware of, although most people were carrying a roll of toilet paper with them just in case.

Side note....I believe I read on FB that the Illinois Governor demanded all restaurants and bars be shut down until further notice. ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 04:30:27 AM »
I'm just glad I got to go to the Lake Cumberland show before all the hyped up hysteria.  The whole world is shutting down now.  I better not say anything else...
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Online Dave Marsh

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 06:14:41 AM »
This is what all of the toilet paper is for.  They are just trying to protect themselves with spit balls...My grandson has one and it shoots great spitballs.  I won't say who bought it for him.   :-X

"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin