Author Topic: First go at a patchbox - update/inlet done  (Read 1764 times)

Offline pjmcdonald

First go at a patchbox - update/inlet done
« on: March 25, 2020, 04:48:21 AM »
Fourth rifle, thought I’d take a go at a patchbox. Bought a blank kit from TOW. Not set up to make my own hinges yet. Thanks to Bill’s videos, had a good idea on how to proceed. I used the Martindale (#17, Ivey) as a “go by.”

Drew out the pattern then made a couple copies. Cut one out and glued it to the brass. Lots of work with jewelers saw and files. This is where I am so far.

Lower side to go, trim, finish cavity, the figure out spring and release. The spring in the kit is not going to work with this design.

Anyway, something to do while stuck at home.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 05:20:40 AM by pjmcdonald »

Offline Marcruger

Re: First go at a patchbox
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 05:21:19 AM »
That guilloche side plate sure gives it a Piedmont NC flavor.  :-)  There are easier things than that to inlet for sure.  Looking good.  Lots of areas to engrave soon.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 06:10:31 AM »
Glad to hear that I was helpful. See, I told you its not that hard!

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 06:50:56 AM »
Bill, your videos are very helpful. I can only imagine the amount of extra work you’ve put into making them. Thank you for that. One suggestion: add a brief word to the episode number to describe what is covered in that episode. For example, patchbox release. Next set of videos I’ll be watching!

Thanks again for the excellent video build alongs!

Paul

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 06:58:48 AM »
Marc,
I’m a big fan of both NC Piedmont and mountain rifles. Family roots in Western NC.

Guilloche inletting is a chore. I may never do another. But I probably will. They are pretty!

I’ll outsource engraving on this. I draw fairly well but haven’t yet learned to engrave.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Paul

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 04:47:36 PM »
 Just in case; where do you find those videos?

Tim C.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 04:59:22 PM »
Here’s the link to Bill’s channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJhQnP3RSWjoQBmgmBVz9eg

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 05:17:21 PM »
Looking good Paul, from what you have done so far you should have no problem with that lower side plate. I hope you and your dad and family are all well. Celeste is working from home and for me it is business as usual. My regular routine is go down the hill to the shop and spend my whole day there. I was in quarantine the whole time and didn't know it.  :o
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 05:59:47 AM »
Jim,
Glad to hear you and Ms. Celeste are well! We’re all doing as well as can be expected. Assuming this passes, put me and pop down for the October class. Hope to be done with this one by then. Might commission you for a bit of engraving. That box looks naked without it.

Enjoying the posts on your Davidson build!

Thanks,
Paul

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 06:56:38 PM »
Looks good so far, is this on your 3/4 stock rifle?

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 09:45:11 PM »
Flinchrocket,

This is a new build. Finished my 3/4 stock and gave it to my uncle at Christmas. Based the 3/4 off an old family rifle and built it in memory of my cousin. I fired it a few times for function. It will probably hang on the wall but it just feels right that it is there.

This is another walnut stock but full stock in .54. Can’t recall the barrel profile but I got it from Rice. Davis lock that caused me some irritation until I got the fly/tumbler/sear alignment sorted (previous thread). I’ve tried to keep this one in the Bear Creek/Early Deep River style found in the NC piedmont region. I’ll see about posting more photos later.

*** Edit ***

Found a pic of my finished 3/4 next to original. I took some personal liberties!

Regards,

Paul

Engraving by Jim Parker

of pic
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:51:21 PM by pjmcdonald »

Offline pjmcdonald

Re: First go at a patchbox - update/inlet done
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 05:23:35 AM »
Well, got it in and the lid working. Spring to hold it shut. Maybe not exactly like original but functions. @!*% close up photos. More scratches to polish out!

Critiques welcome.

Regards,

Paul

online image hoster

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 06:32:13 AM »
The whole big trick to doing it is getting rid of the idea that it is too hard. Now was it easier or harder than you thought it would be?

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 06:53:32 AM »
Bill,
A bit of both.  I took on the challenge of cutting and inletting the guilloches. Used most of a pack of jeweler saw blades. Kept breaking them. Difficult to cut and file the little ovals. Also made it a bit more challenging with the flower.

Learned I need to pay better attention and improve when notching buttplate. Small gap at the top. Definite learning curve!

Pretty straightforward inletting after that. Just have to be careful and take it slow around all the curvy bits. I did have to make one small patch. This piece of walnut really like to splinter.

Oh, also learned to cut screw slots deeper BEFORE filing them down. The hard way. Oops. Fortunately, only did it once. That was a bugger to remove.

Annealing a couple times also helped. Need to reshape a few times to get metal to sit right.

Your videos are a big help. Glad I did it. Actually looking forward to the next one. After my fingers uncramp!

Regards,
Paul