Author Topic: Bag & horn set up  (Read 1915 times)

Offline MuskratMike

Bag & horn set up
« on: April 02, 2020, 11:50:14 PM »
For the upcoming project here is the bag, horn and accoutrements.
 The bag I have posted before it is a "cased" grounghog bag that was bark tanned. The small "day horn" made by Scott Morrison measures only 8 1/2- inches around the curve from base to spout (not counting plug) and was not polished but scraped. The brass tacks are some of the last antique ones Scott had and we carved my initials into the base using a pocket knife. The patch knife is an antique straight razor attached to an elk tine and the sheath is of goat hide dyed to match the groundhog. The primer is also of antler with fruitwood cap and base. the plug has a spare vent pick made into it and a small deer tine tip brush is also attached. The crude starter may go away as the rifle will have a coned barrel and will be in .32 caliber (more about the rife when it arrives). The small soft doe skin bag was stained in walnut shells and had a light neatsfoot oil coating. It holds the period correct "turnscrew", spare flint and leather, worm, and ball puller.
God Bless, and everyone be safe out there.
"Muskrat" Mike

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Bag & horn set up
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 11:56:14 PM »
Right handy looking rig Mike. I'd Fiebings Brown all the antlers and horn for patina but I imagine you'll come by that honestly before long. Good stuff.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 03:49:14 AM »
Nice looking setup. I find it a lot of fun to put a kit together for each gun...and they’re never completely finished...I’m always changing something, seems like.

Greg

PS...maybe we should start a “What’s in Your Bag” thread, like Art does on the blog.
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline old george

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 03:52:05 AM »
Very nice looking outfit.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 05:08:50 AM »
Thanks all it was a hoot putting it together.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 10:36:54 PM »
Mike,

A nice set-up you have put together.  Isn't it great that there are so many different elements of this hobby?

Take Care,
Kevin

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 07:20:48 PM »
Thanks for posting, Muskrat Mike!

The outfit looks great, every bit of it.

It's nice to see another simple, rustic, but functional pouch, with a plain and rather narrow shoulder strap, as they typically would have been on the frontier.  I think the web straps and brass rings are a little over-utilized these days.

Nice kit, and thoughtfully assembled.

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Mick C

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 05:33:49 PM »
I echo the above message, really appreciate you sharing.  It is a wonderful and perfectly aged set of gear.  It all goes together right right.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 11:36:09 PM »
Nice looking setup. I find it a lot of fun to put a kit together for each gun...and they’re never completely finished...I’m always changing something, seems like.

Greg

PS...maybe we should start a “What’s in Your Bag” thread, like Art does on the blog.

Let's do it Greg!

Mike