Author Topic: Staples  (Read 1264 times)

Offline rmnc3r

Staples
« on: April 24, 2020, 12:35:18 AM »
The thread on 'waisted' dovetails prompted me to offer my technique with staples.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=59514.0

I use TOTW's Punch and Staking tool, but now form my own staples out of nails.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1047/1

On Octagon Barrels,  I OFFSET the staple from center line, closer to one side of a flat or the other, alternating sides as I go.
This minimizes the dread and possibility of drilling into the bore, not to mention the ramrod channel.

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Staples
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 12:59:11 AM »
I don’t use staples, but that is good approach to prevent a potential disaster.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 04:33:45 PM »
My first 4 LRs had staples made from nails and after forming , each leg had at the end of the leg.  a groove filed in. I bought TOW's double center punch but used it only once...preferred a single one. The tricky part is drilling the holes....first drilling w/  an angled drill to pick up the center punch and then a flat bottom drill to get maximum depth.  The staple is pressed into the holes and the metal surrounding each leg is peened into the grooves and the entire area filed smooth. When drilling,  used the drill press spindle stop plus a stop collar on the drill.

After the 4th LR, switched to dovetailed bbl lugs.....too much "fiddling" around w/ staples  VS filing a dovetailed slot.....Fred 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:48:47 PM by flehto »

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »
I don't like staples and think they are more of a potential disaster than a dovetail.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 07:38:27 PM »
I don't like staples and think they are more of a potential disaster than a dovetail.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 08:35:01 PM »
Solder is much safer and easy to put a lug on the thin waist section of a swamped barrel.

Online BJH

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 09:41:42 PM »
I used staples for a couple of builds with heavy barrels in relation to caliber. Didn’t like them, I went back to dovetailed lugs. I solder lugs onto any barrel that is on the light side. BJH
BJH