Author Topic: Getting Started In This Hobby / Passion  (Read 1900 times)

OldManMike

Getting Started In This Hobby / Passion
« on: April 23, 2020, 01:24:05 AM »
So I am a young man who has been looking to get into this hobby/passion for quite some time. I realized I wanted a hobby that is one of physical creation a couple of years ago and have deliberated between various crafts such as leatherworking, bladesmithing, and woodworking for too long now. I've decided that what really fills my heart with passion and joy is muzzleloaders and want to get started in this pursuit. There may be other threads on this forum on this topic, and I know there are resources elsewhere, but I figured I'd make a post here and get good advice from my elder pros and enthusiasts here.

For a young man with decent hand-skills but no relevant tools and a modest budget: What essential tools and what kits/components would you recommend? I know Jim Kibler's kits are highly regarded, but I just don't know where to start or what to start with.

Something like leatherworking is pretty easily digestible and seemingly quick to start with a limited tool selection and allows you to create some cool items quickly, but muzzleloader building seems like a much more layered task to get involved in.

Basically, what tools do I *really* need, where should I start, and how should I go about this? I really want to get started as the late 1600s to early 1800s is my favorite period of history and I really, really, want to build something that will pull on someone's heartstrings and last long after I'm gone.

Been lurking on this forum since 2018 and I thank you for reading this. You guys make some really incredible art pieces.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Getting Started In This Hobby / Passion
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 01:35:25 AM »
Hi and welcome! Jim Kibler has video tutorials on assembling and finishing his kits. That would be a good start if you decide to go with his colonial kit.

Search our tutorials for other build-alongs.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 01:41:58 AM »
Welcome Michael! Lots of great experts in all those crafts here. You’ll get some good replies but as Rich says, check out the tutorials and feel free to ask questions on those threads or send PMs. Lots of nice folks here....

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 01:45:48 AM »
Let me say that the Kibler kit is a nice place to start. You will familiarize yourself with all of the pieces and parts required to make a pile of components into a firearm as well as what and where parts should fit. Understanding proper inlet is important and you can see and use it for yourself. If you are like many of us on this forum the kits will not satisfy your desire to be better.  You're going to need to buy a stock blank and all the parts (or make the parts yourself ) after you have researched the project. The important thing is to not be intimidated by any of the demands of gunmaking. Thousands have come before you.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 02:08:48 AM »
Welcome!..., and I agree with the Kibler Kit recommendation.  It’s a great place to start, minimal tools are needed, and you’ll end up with an architecturally, and historically correct rifle.  It’ll be a great study piece for more challenging projects, such as a Chambers kit, before moving onto building from a blank.  Good luck and keep us posted!  Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 04:03:06 AM »
Start off with a drill press, rasps files, chisels. Start off with cheap tools and replace them with good ones as you are able to. I would guess that just about everyone here started off with minimal tools and just had to make do with them. When you see pictures of workshops full of tools you have to realize that it generally takes decades to put that all together. The trick is to plan on using a certain percentage of every paycheck for tools. Then realize that you will NEVER have all the tools that you think you need.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 05:26:08 AM »
Check out Jim’s channel on YouTube.

He literally walks you through the entire build process and describes what tools you need. It’d s very basic list. A few chisels, a drill, not a whole lot at all.

Bob McBride also has the BEST little blackpowder shooting channel around too, to help you as well.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 12:47:21 PM »
I built my first rifle with very minimal tools and even less knowledge but I managed to get it together. If you want to do it you will find the means to do it. That was nearly 50 years ago. There is more and better information available now and this forum is fantastic for the new builders. Tools are a great thing. The more you have the easier the job. Even after 50 years I am still looking for a better tool to get the job done and I have good tools. The best advice I can give you on tools is, don’t buy a tool until you need it and buy the best you can afford.

Good luck 👍
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Goo

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 02:02:55 PM »
My advise is to have good paying job first, a reliable source of disposable income above your cost of living.       Once you have money then you have freedom  to buy what you need in the way of tools and freedom to take the time to invest in the project.   Your workspace is a tool just as much as file or vise your work space is the most expensive thing you will use.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 02:12:00 PM »
You don't need to spend a lot to get started.Built my first with a portable vise,hand drill(battery) and basic hand tools, files ect.I will say this, it behooves you to buy, find good chisels and screw drivers.Its tough now because of the lock down but I found great old german and swiss chisels at flea markets,can't beat that old steel.A good set of gunsmith's screw drivers is a big help.Inexpensive drill jigs more than made up for not having a drill press.You have a plethora of knowledge here and folks willing to guide you as well.Good luck and welcome

Offline alacran

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 02:26:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum. A lot of sage advise posted here before me. No need to add any more. If you have the desire you will find a way.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline retired fella

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
I have said this before, "get thee to a local ML club".  Hang out, make friends.  A lot of those fellas are builders and well as shooters.  Shoot some rifles, check out what you like as to style, caliber, ignition system.  Then, you will be better versed as to what you like and I will bet that one or more of these guys would be happy to mentor you in your build.  When I built my first rifle 50 years ago I had not even shot a MLR.  Keep your ears open and ask questions.  You will do well pilgrim.  Good luck to you and your build.

WARNING:  The journey is addictive.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 06:35:14 PM »
   Hi Michael an welcome to the ALR. My advice an you have been given extremely good advice already. Go to a show or gun range an get your hands an eye's on some well made guns. Find the style you like an feels good to you before you start spending your hard earned money..!
The one thing about the Kibler kit is that you will get to see what proper inletting looks like an how everything flows together in a well made kit. It shows you the correct architecture of each of his styles. The good part is he designed them with the amateur builder in mind to give them a well made rifle that they can be proud of. They are made with the very best parts period.
 Now as far as tools are concerned you don't need a whole bunch to get started...a hand drill a few files, rasps and a gouge or two can get you a long way..! One cd I would recommend is Herschel Houses on building the Kentucky rifle. He does not use a whole bunch of special tools. So it can be done...
  Enjoy your journey...Oldtravler

LuVerne Schumann

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 06:41:37 PM »
Just found this today, and it seems appropriate:

https://www.guns.com/news/review/building-a-muzzleloader-tools-needed-for-the-task

I think this is an excellent "bare bones" overview of what is really needed.

X2 on picking up old tools at flea markets.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 06:56:41 PM »
I’m a young man, too. Lots of these guys on here have “been around a while” and REALLY know there stuff. They’ll help you, as they’ve helped me so much!

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
sent you a PM. give me a call.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 05:55:00 PM »
Just found this today, and it seems appropriate:

https://www.guns.com/news/review/building-a-muzzleloader-tools-needed-for-the-task

I think this is an excellent "bare bones" overview of what is really needed.

X2 on picking up old tools at flea markets.

Flea markets and ebay are excellent places to find tools, IF you know what you are looking at and how to repair/refurbish them. I'd recommend going to the local library and looking through the woodworking section  for books on tools - Aldren Watson's Hand Tools: Their Ways and Workings is a good place to start if you can find it.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling