Author Topic: Committee of Safety, Brown Bess and my Miroku  (Read 2188 times)

anticus

Committee of Safety, Brown Bess and my Miroku
« on: April 28, 2020, 01:52:03 AM »
I have a Japanese Bess that I want to stock properly, and make it look authentic, like the true 2nd Model Brown Bess. Then I found this photo in an old American Heritage book on the Rev War. The upper flintlock is an original Committee of Safety of Safety musket. I'm struck at how much it resembles the Miroku, especially the stock architecture. It also illustrated the differences with the original Brown Bess. I still want to have someone restock my Miroku, to improve its shootability/handling as well as appearance. but as it stands, it's a very close copy of an original  Committee of Safety firelock.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Committee of Safety, Brown Bess and my Miroku
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:24:01 AM »
Hi,
I know Brown Besses and their knock offs very well.  The Miroku Bess, of which I own several sets of parts, has two key things going for it.  The lock design and parts are very good and when treated as a kit can be turned into a very fine musket lock, better than the Pedersoli version.  The cast components are high quality but they need finishing and polishing.  The other key component is the barrel, which is the best and strongest repro short land Brown Bess barrels made.  All of the other components on a Miroku Bess leave a lot to be desired despite the high quality castings.  The butt plate is 1/4-3/8" too short, the ramrod pipes are not shaped correctly, and the trigger guard is badly misshapen.  The stocks are not very good either and are too straight compared with originals and too straight to be good shooters for most people.  With some judicious filing of parts and reshaping the guard, you could make a good Bess inspired COS musket.  The stock has to be replaced and ideally, you would want to get rid of the cartoonish and obviously stamped "TOWER" and crown marks and engrave more authentic looking marks.  Most COS muskets were crudely made and there actually were not many of them because the need was very quickly filled by imports from France. With regard to making a Miroku Bess more authentic as a short land pattern Bess, it is difficult without dumping the stock, guard, and butt plate.  I reworked quite a few Pedersoli Besses but I don't do the same with Miroku's except mainly salvage the barrel, lock, and a few of the brass parts. 
 https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/new-reworking-a-pedersoli-brown-bess.107405/
I  have a 1.5-2-year backlog of work and after that, I intend to take a sabbatical from doing work for others and getting some personal projects done.  However, I am sure some other maker on this site could do a credible job turning the parts into a COS musket.   

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

anticus

Re: Committee of Safety, Brown Bess and my Miroku
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 08:11:37 AM »
Thanks, I hope I can find someone to do the stock work and the rest. This is a worthwhile project.