Author Topic: Buttonseses  (Read 1328 times)

RoaringBull

Buttonseses
« on: April 24, 2020, 01:06:33 AM »
As I was digging through this little bag of buttons that I have, some with two holes and some with four holes, I started to wonder when the four hole buttons started to show up in the US. Are they correct for the Pre-1840 time period?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Buttonseses
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 06:43:32 AM »
I don't know when they showed up, but they were dominant by the 1860s.
Psalms 144

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 05:21:17 PM »
Good question.  I always thought that four holed buttons were invented by folks with double vision.

I've always used two hole, especially on bags, because I wrap the thread or sinew around the shank of the part just behind the button before finishing and securing the thread..  It'll raise the button off the face of the bag just enough to ease the passage through the button hole on the flap of the bag.

Offline al56

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 05:50:37 PM »
I was always told 2 hole buttons were earlier.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 06:05:54 AM »
Good question.  I always thought that four holed buttons were invented by folks with double vision.

I've always used two hole, especially on bags, because I wrap the thread or sinew around the shank of the part just behind the button before finishing and securing the thread..  It'll raise the button off the face of the bag just enough to ease the passage through the button hole on the flap of the bag.

That was the common treatment when used on clothing back then as well.
Psalms 144