Author Topic: Thoughts on stock blank thickness and layouts for warped stock blanks  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Ron Scott

I  get inquiries about Walnut stock blanks. One of the frequent misconceptions is the required thickness of the stock blank.  My primary focus is Jaeger Rifles, so we will use that as an example. Regardless of the barrel breech, the primary thickness dimension is the widest portion of the butt plate and thickest portion of the cheek piece. A typical butt plate is 2 1/8 inch wide and cheek pieces add 3/8 inch, so it is possible to build using a 2 1/2 inch thick blank. Granted this means you have little room for error.

Another useful idea is to plan your project layout based on the centerline of the barrel rather than edge of the stock blank. This will enable usage of a warped stock, as illustrated in this example. This is a piece of stump cut Circassian Walnut. The complex compression of stump cut blanks sometimes yields warpage during drying. Yes, I have tried clamping them during drying. To make use of a stock like this one, I measured and marked the needed center of the butt plate on the top of the blank, the center of the breech, the center of the muzzle and drew a line connecting those points. As seen in the photos, there is enough wood to compensate for the nearly 1/2 inch warp at wrist. Of course cast can be working into the layout as well.

Offline ScottH

Re: Thoughts on stock blank thickness and layouts for warped stock blanks
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 08:36:26 PM »
Thanks Ron!
One question, once a blank has dried and warped and is useable, have you experienced any warping after the stock is shaped?

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 10:38:46 PM »
This is not directed at Ron Scott.   It is just a bit of additional info for those who don't know.  Bending is simpler than you think.  Just try it. It's permanent also. Bend them straight.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 11:01:26 PM »
I have not had any stocks bend after construction. I think Dave Rase will tell you he has inlet barrels for me in several of my stocks that were warped in a similar fashion.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 11:10:18 PM »
Thanks, both Ron and Jerry!

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 11:16:37 PM »
My thought is to rough saw out the blank then bend it straight before inlaying the barrel.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 12:08:35 AM »
The blank may be bent, but the wood is now in the position that it naturally wants to be.  Leave it there.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."