Author Topic: cast? Patch box  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Scota4570

cast? Patch box
« on: June 12, 2020, 06:03:39 AM »
I want to add a cap-patch box to my Leman build.  I have a big piece of 1/8" brass that may be suitable.  Originally were these typically cast or fabricated?   

Offline Gaeckle

Re: cast? Patch box
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 06:33:54 AM »
They were cast. The picture provided in the right corner is more typical of what would have been on a Lehman rifle.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 04:57:00 PM »
Actually I have seen both of these patch boxes on original Leman rifles. The longer one is seen mostly on earlier rifles.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 06:33:42 PM »
Lot's of overlap on the three most common patch/cap box styles that Henry Leman used.

This early style four-piece patch box can be found on original flint and percussion rifles.

It was probably used from the late 1830s and well into the percussion period.

The 2-screw fleur-de-lis finial cap box, which is the one most identified with Leman, can be found on flintlock rifles with locks dated 1840.

It was clearly used from 1840 through the 1880s.

The use of the oval 4-screw cap box probably overlaps the 2-screw fleur-de-lis finial cap box.

Jack Brooks, who makes a bench copy of the classic Leman Indian rifle and has had many Leman rifles come through his shop for repair and restoration, has said that it almost appears that the Leman workers had buckets or bins of parts near their work bench and put on the rifle they were working on whatever they happened to grab from the bucket. In other words, he's seen rifles with a diverse mixture of parts.

Scota4570, copies of all three of these patch/cap boxes are commercially available from suppliers.

https://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs3cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=2570706.31361&next=50&product=Patchboxes

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/813/1/PB-MA-10-B

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/813/2/PB-LEMAN-B
Phil Meek

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 06:46:15 PM »
Scota

I have an original box that I picked up for a project that never happened.I'd part with it if you're interested.It's complete with a working spring.Shoot me a message if you want it.

Mitch

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 06:53:01 PM »
Last night I checked Track again and they have the late box in stock again.  I pulled the trigger and ordered one.  IF it is good enough I'll use it.  IF not I will make one or contact Tallbear.

Making one from scratch with thick stock seems arduous right now, my hands and back are getting sore from too much bench time.   

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 07:01:04 PM »
My back gets tired with me just thinking about it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 09:46:55 PM »
Scota

That's fine just let me know when you decide.i have someone else interested in the box but will hold it for a while unril you're sure. Thanks!!

Mitch