Author Topic: Cabin creek kit guns -Brad Emig -has anyone built one of these?  (Read 1817 times)

Offline recurve

Cabin creek kit guns -Brad Emig -has anyone built one of these?
« on: November 09, 2020, 10:34:27 PM »
I was at his shop in york Pa having some locks tuned  and looked at his York town and Pa mountain rifle completed kits guns .
I'm wanting to try a more challenging build , not sure of my skills (the kiblers  don't appeal to me, wish he had a york style)
Has anyone done any of his Semi-Custom Gun Kits? How much barrel work needs to be done?
Thinking of a mountain rifle in .54 gain rifling swamped (wish the york was offered in 54 ,swamped)
Can anyone suggest   a late york  swamped in 54 kit?( like a Lancaster on a diet)

Offline Berksrifle

Re: Cabin creek kit guns -Brad Emig -has anyone built one of these?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 12:18:32 AM »
 I built his PA Mountain Rifle kit in 54 Cal. The kit comes with the barrel inlet into the stock (no radii in the corners at the breech). The barrel has all dovetails cut and the lock is close to being inlet. The stock has plenty of wood to remove and the inlets for ramrod pips and under lugs are in position. The brass is soft and the lock is tuned by Brad.
I really like mine. The only problem is when I shoot from a bench rest I get smacked on the cheek. It has somewhat of a Lehigh buttstock. It only has a 1 1/4 inch drop at the comb. Offhand shooting is alright.
I want to get his Colonial Virginia kit soon.

Ken

post picture

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 02:53:44 AM »
I think Jim Chambers has a York kit and it has a swamped barrel. Either place has kits with quality parts and aren't real hard to build. If you take your time and think thigs trough you should have a nice rifle when finished.

Offline Berksrifle

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 04:12:38 AM »
 I built a Chambers York County rifle too. It was a little more involved the the PA Mountain rifle. This handles and balances very well too.

Ken