Author Topic: Grandson's Rifle  (Read 8871 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Grandson's Rifle
« on: August 02, 2008, 10:47:28 PM »
Well, got her done a little early, but now it's out of the way, and I can get her sighted in before his birthday.

Plain maple stock, 3/4" x 36" x .40cal barrel, precarved Pecatonica Boy's Beck stock, (much slimmed down), 12/3/4" LOP, M&G lock (nice lock), brass hardware.

Very slender and light,(6 3/4lbs) should be a fun gun.

Photos were done in a hurry, hope they're not too bad.

In His grip,

Dane

swordmanjohn

Re: Grandson's Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »
Ok , I nominate you for Grandpa of the year!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 11:41:16 PM »
Smallpatch, 

Beautiful rifle.  I am in the process of building a matched set of 3/4 scale rifles, but I like the lock on yours better than the ones I had planned on. Where did you get the M&G lock  ? - I am not familiar with them.

Thanks
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 12:05:19 AM »
davec2,

M&G locks are available from Tip Curtis and RE Davis.

It's right between a Large and Small Siler.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline b bogart

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 12:19:52 AM »
Really lucky Grandson you have Dane!
How is that M&G lock? I am considering trying one.
Bruce

PINYONE

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 12:24:47 AM »
This just proves that the plain rifle is just as beautiful as the carved rifles. The rifle that you have built is very elegant and refined, and would be nice to own. The color aging just adds icing on the cake- probalby alot of people will wanting a rifle from you like this one- way to go!!!! Pinyon

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »
Nice job Smallpatch.  Your Grandson should be very happy and have lots of fun to boot. 
Cheers,
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

ironwolf

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 01:15:04 AM »
  Very sweet, Dane.  I love to see the kids shooting.  This sport would die out if not for them.

Kev

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 02:13:06 AM »
Very nice rifle.  The proportions are just right.
What buttplate and trigger guard did you use?
I have a boy's rifle that I'm just starting.  13/16" barrel.  I'll probably shorten it to about 31 inches.
Thanks for the benchmark.  Hope I come close.
Larry Luck

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 04:13:34 AM »
smallpatch,

The time spent building that rifle, and being with your grandson will be the most rewarding time that you ever spent.  I built each of my four grandchildren a rifle as soon as they were born, and the two oldest, eleven and nine , have spent a good part of this year at shooting matches with me.  It doesn't get much better than that.

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 05:12:41 AM »
Beautiful little rifle! I'm sure your Grandson will be excited! Every Grandad should do this! Ron Ehlert had just started on one for my Grandboy when Ron died unexpectedly. I have a smallish Rowan County .45cal that David Dodds made that will work fine for my Grandson.

Really like the little rifle that you have lined up for your Grandson! He'll be proud, I'm sure!

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 05:16:22 AM »
Very nice rifle.  The proportions are just right.
What buttplate and trigger guard did you use?
I have a boy's rifle that I'm just starting.  13/16" barrel.  I'll probably shorten it to about 31 inches.
Thanks for the benchmark.  Hope I come close.
Larry Luck
Larry,

The buttplate and triggerguard are just some generic late Lancaster style, that were proportioned rather on the small side.  Had to do a lot of filing to get them down to this size, but they worked out OK.
It's very basic, no frills, plain wood.  But really feels nice.  I'm going to try to get to the range tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Bruce,

As far as the lock, it seems very well made and solid.  Again, I'll know more after the first range trip.

My grandson is 13, and almost 6ft tall.  The LOP will still serve him for quite a while, because it's quite comfortable to me right now.   Can't wait to see his face when he sees it, and even more so, the first time we take him and the gun to the range.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 03:37:46 PM »
  Very nice, I like the way you finished it.
  Reeves Goehring has a set of castings for a boys rifle and if I am not mistaken Fred Miller has the pattern for the stock that they match.

Tim C.

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
Great looking little rifle.  Reminds me of when I built one for my daughter about 15 years ago.  She still like to hunt whitetails with me in the fall.  I built one each for her two brothers but they never took to shooting or hunting.
I really like the looks of the M&G lock.  It is unfamiliar to me but looks really nice.
Gary Tucker

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 02:56:03 AM »
Tim,
I have Reaves' youth rifle buttplate and triggerguard.  They are quite nice and a Lehigh pattern.  I am a little more familiar with Lancaster architecture and liked Smallpatch's finished product.
As I said, a nice benchmark to use to measure my attempt.
Larry Luck

flintman-tx

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 03:17:35 AM »
Nice work and fortunate young man. If you make and send me one like that...I will be willing to call you Grandpa!!!!

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »
A wonderful  rifle. Beauty in it's simplicity. I'm going to look into that lock.
Gene