Author Topic: Pistol?  (Read 1146 times)

old dog

Pistol?
« on: October 01, 2020, 07:34:23 AM »
I am finishing up a pistol with a 9 inch octagon to round smooth bore barrel and Chamber's Queen Anne Lock.  My understanding is this type of pistol might have served as a dueling pistol.  I imagine it might have served also as a defensive weapon.  What role might the pistol have  served in the hands of the hunter militiaman in the 18th century?  Appreciate comments from you esteemed scholars.
Old Dog

Online alacran

Re: Pistol?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 01:46:07 PM »
I don't believe that you would find it in the hands of Militia. Handguns in general were Officers weapons. Most common in the regular troops. It is possible a hunter may have had one but not likely. A second rifle or a smooth bore would be a better place to invest his funds.
Pistols would be more common in the Southwest Spanish Colonies, as well as in Florida's Spanish holdings. They were commonly issued to non coms. and local constabularies.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 01:55:13 PM »
Hi Old Dog,
Pistols were generally made in pairs and as Alacran wrote, were most often owned by wealthier folks and officers.  However, I am sure some hunters, soldiers, and militia may have owned some. While any pair of pistols could be used in a duel, actual dueling pistols where purpose built and at least the British evolved a distinctive style. By 1775 or so those pistols usually had swamped octagon smooth barrels, hair or set triggers, front and rear sights, highest quality locks, and little ornamentation except engraving.  They were arguably the finest pistols made at that time and workmanship was perfect.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 05:24:05 PM »
Pistols show up quite a bit in accounts of frontier travelers - my copy is in storage, but Eslinger's Running Mad for Kentucky, a collection of period travel accounts, has quite a number, IIRC. My favorite one is the guy that described himself as looking like Robinson Crusoe, with two pairs of pistols in his belt, a rifle, and a sword.

This guy apart, it wasn't very usual to carry pistols in the belt in the 18th century, and they were usually carried either in saddle holsters or in coat pockets. A nine-inch barrel would be a (saddle) holster pistol. Backcountry and frontier culture - including Southeast Native American culture -  was very horse-oriented, something that tends to be overlooked these days, and most serious traveling was done on horseback, so the most likely role for your pistol is to be carried around on a horse when on the road or hung up in the cabin between trips. Not something you'd wear around the farm or hunting.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

old dog

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 06:53:06 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. It helps to know where to get the facts.
Old Dog

Offline Kevin

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 07:09:37 PM »
Greetings Old Dog,

The published journal of James Smith of "Black Boys" fame includes info on a confrontation on the road near Bedford (PA) which describes him  being stopped by what seems to be at least 2 fellows with pistols.  One of which was snapped at him but it didn't go off.  Another one was fired and killed another traveler.  Smith responded with his rifle but was taken after it was empty.  This was in the late 1750s or the 1760s.

I would have to consult my bookshelves at home for a closer date.

Kevin