Author Topic: New to me small vise  (Read 1432 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
New to me small vise
« on: September 30, 2020, 08:55:32 PM »
It’s tough to find a good small vise. With I had one that was not clamped from below but rather bolted to the bench. But I found this on eBay and like it. The jaws are square. Gotta like that. I’ll use this for filing smaller parts.

I think I can use the 2 front bolt holes to advantage.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:00:01 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: New to me small vise
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 09:48:47 PM »
Nice --- I bought this from Harbor Freight for $20. I cut the base off and added a bracket that I can clamp into my main vise or bolt ot to my assembly bench.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 10:42:11 PM »
That's a dandy, Rich. I love to browse the vintage tools on Ebay. Some of the tools I prize the most were bought on Ebay.
Eric Smith

Offline 45-110

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 01:35:34 AM »
An engravers ball is hard to beat for working and filing on small parts also. A 2 inch ebay hardened machinist vice is my next go to also.
kw

Offline tnhillbilly

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 02:39:15 AM »
nice find.  If you like searching for old tools go to estatesales.net and sign up for email alerts for sales in your area.  I scored 2 large boxes of late nineteenth and early twentieth century hand tools for next to nothing last weekend. 
All skill is for nought when the angel in the flintlock *#)*^!

Offline heinz

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 03:14:47 AM »
Rich, nice vise.  It is like one step up from a hand vise and should be great for small parts.
kind regards, heinz

Offline AZshot

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 03:43:56 AM »
Yankee makes a good small vice that sits in a swivel locking mount.  Circa 1915 if I recall, you can still find them online.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:47:50 AM by AZshot »

Online Clint

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 04:00:55 AM »
That's a nice little vise. I have a couple of cheapish small cast iron vises and each one is drilled, between the jaws and counter sunk for small nails and rivets. The vises are not mounted but are carried in a regular post vise when I need them.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 07:47:22 AM »
Rich,
Nice find! Good, small American made vises are hard to find in usable condition. Looks like you found a really good one. Look forward to seeing your work from it!
elkhorne

Offline FALout

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »
I’ve got a similar small vise like yours.  I’ve had people laugh at me when they see a part clamped in the small vice and the small vice clamped in my large bench vice.  I find it grabs very well on things such as trigger parts and when used as stated, gets it up higher for better visibility And not so much bending over which saves my back.
Bob
Bob

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 09:09:54 PM »
Rich,

I have a very similar vise that I have had since childhood (i.e. like from the middle of the last century  :o).  I like the fact that it clamps onto the edge of the bench as I not only use it for sawing / filing / etc., but I welded up a couple of different shaped "T"s from 1 1/14" square steel tubing to use as supports when I am working on a stock.  The "T"s have a leather pad glued to the top and can easily be adjusted in the vise jaws for height.  The clamp on the vise also allows me to move the support easily anywhere along the edge of the bench.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780