Author Topic: Eagle box rifle  (Read 2854 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Eagle box rifle
« on: October 30, 2020, 02:25:22 PM »
I built this rifle for the Masonic Mountain Men who will be raffling it off to raise money for the charities that they support. Please consider supporting them with the purchase of a ticket for a chance to win this rifle. Go to their web site for more info.

This rifle started as a Jim Kibler Colonial Rifle  Kit. I had Jim make the kit without a patch box so I could fabricate a custom box for it. The kit came with a great piece of stump cut quarter sawn curly sugar maple stock. It also has one Jim’s new locks. This lock is without a doubt the best out of the box production lock being made today. I can honestly say that I did not have to do anything to this lock except polish the outside and engrave it. What a pleasure to use. The whole kit was pleasure to build and I want to commend Jim for producing such a fine product.

This rifle is a tribute to Capt. John Parker and the Militiamen who engaged the British on the Lexington Green the morning of April 19th, 1775. This engagement became the first battle of the American Revolution. The British went to confiscate Firearms and Powder from the Colonial Militia that was being stored at Lexington and Concord. On that fateful morning 8 Colonial Militiamen were killed on the Lexington Green. Capt. John Parker who was leading the Militia gave this order, “stand your ground, do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war, let it begin here”. 

Now on to pictures of the rifle.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 02:29:34 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Eagle box rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 03:06:41 PM »
        A really nice effort at self expression.  Your engraving has really evolved wonderfully over the years, outstanding script...All the best to you Jim.
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 04:03:47 PM »
        A really nice effort at self expression.  Your engraving has really evolved wonderfully over the years, outstanding script...All the best to you Jim.
Ron
I was thinking exactly the same thing about your engraving and then saw that Lucky had already said it.

Great work,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 06:19:07 PM »
Great rifle and engraving.......waaaaay beyond my abilities.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 07:02:40 PM »
 A Beauty, Outstanding Workmanship.

Tim

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 07:34:29 PM »
Wow Jim, this one is going to take a while to look at there is so much detail work. I like the combination of brass, iron and silver integrated by the engraving and overall design. I hope to see it at your show in January.

Congratulations!
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 08:40:02 PM »
Thanks everyone. This rifle is a little different from the norm which is what I wanted to do. I think that it will do well for the Masonic Mountain Men and I hope that they raise a lot of money with it.

Carl it will be at my show in Alabama for everyone to roll around and look at, I will look forward to seeing you there.
Jim Parker

Offline Richard

• North of 54
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 10:17:29 PM »
Wow!! very nice Jim. You let your artistic juices flow on this one. I especially like the Eagle patch box. Nice feather effects.

Richard

Offline old george

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 10:59:15 PM »
And here's another WOW!!! That's a beautiful masterpiece up for auction.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline john bohan

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 11:01:48 PM »
Wow

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 11:35:38 PM »
Very nice, Jim. Outstanding engraving.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 12:28:07 AM »
Jim, you done good!
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 03:00:19 AM »
Mister Parker you keep raising the bar for yourself. Another great piece of work, and a great tribute to our nation at this time. Hope to see it in January at your show.
“Let Freedom Ring”
Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 08:20:43 AM »
Amazing work Jim!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 04:57:13 PM »
Outstanding, Jim!

When I saw the first photo, I thought those were fish scales!  Then I saw the whole patchbox, and was delighted to realize those were feathers!  And the use of the whiter metal (silver?) for the head was brilliant.

Always hoping to get to your show, but it will have to be the '22 show.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 08:55:48 PM »
Thanks  Craig

The white metal on the rifle is all Sterling Silver which is overlaid onto the sheet steel of the patch box and toe plate. All of the inlays are also Sterling Silver. The little bit of wire is also Sterling Siler that I cut from a thin piece of sheet. The Box lid is also Sterling overlay. I based the design of the box door and release on my original Thomas Simpson rifle.
Jim Parker

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 01:05:57 AM »
That is amazing brother.  So much to see everywhere.  Impressive for sure.  I'd love to take it out and shoot it.   :-)   God Bless,   Marc

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 01:36:32 AM »
Hi Jim,
I think you created a wonderful commemorative icon.  It is exactly what I would envision a late 18th or early 19th century gunsmith might produce to commemorate a great event like Lexington with all the bling often seen on Federalist period objects.  Well done Jim!

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline t.caster

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 05:44:22 PM »
Hi Jim,
I think you created a wonderful commemorative icon.  It is exactly what I would envision a late 18th or early 19th century gunsmith might produce to commemorate a great event like Lexington with all the bling often seen on Federalist period objects.  Well done Jim!

dave

I was thinking the same thing. A beautiful commemorative/presentation piece that will surely be preserved FOREVER!
Tom C.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 06:54:41 PM »
This past Sunday was the first outing for the Capt. John Parker tribute rifle. The Masonic Mountain Men displayed it at the Lineville AL car show. The car show proceeds also go to the Shriner's Hospital and to support the Transportation Unit that takes the children to and from the Hospital. This car show is in it's 32nd year and has contributed over $700,000.00 to the Children's Hospital. The rifle is being raffled off and the proceeds are going to support the charities that are sponsored by the Masonic Mountain Men. We raised $500 the first day and that was a good start, not bad for being at a car show. Hopefully we will raise much more between now and December of 2021 when the rifle will be given away. They raised $45,000.00 with the first rifle that I made for them two years ago. Please help them exceed that amount with this rifle. I will post info on how to get tickets after we have the rifle photographed later this week and can post pictures of their web site.

Thanks for everyone's kind words, they are much appreciated.

Jim Parker

Jim Parker

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2020, 01:15:33 AM »
Mr Parker
That proud eagle looks like it’s screaming all the louder being out in the open air.......🦅
Great looking rifle Jim.....!
“God Bless The USA”

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !