Author Topic: Suggestion on lock and barrel finish  (Read 1881 times)

Offline hortonstn

Suggestion on lock and barrel finish
« on: November 01, 2020, 01:21:44 AM »
I've used hot blue,rust blue,slow rust brown finishes on barrels they all are fine I'm building a fantasy
Rifle for me on a dickert style rifle I want an unuasual finish on the barrel and lock kind of a natural grey finish I've heard of wrapping the barrel with mustard on cloth to achieve a finish what can I expect I've also seen what appeared to be an acid etching finish any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Suggestion on lock and barrel finish
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 01:34:20 AM »
Leave it bare steel and shoot it. In short order it will turn a mellow gray.
Psalms 144

Offline Not English

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 01:44:36 AM »
Kibler sells a brass black solution that does a really nice job of greying the barrel. There is also an antique furniture supply house that makes the same stuff if Kibler is out. I went with Kibler even though he was a little bit more expensive. We should support fellow black powder enthusiasts. Apply as instructed and then clean it with steel wool or scotchbrite. I'm very happy with the results. I was looking for an "older" looking finish that did not reflect abuse and pitting. I posed the same question on the forum last spring/summer if my memeory serves. There were some  very good replies to my queries.

Dave

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 05:52:36 PM »
Just dilute Super Blue about 4:1 with water. If it gets too dark you can just rub it back with scotchbrite or steel wool if this is kinda what you are after:

Tom C.

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 07:26:11 PM »
Thanks appreciated your comments
Paul

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 04:46:16 AM »
I've used dirty cleaning patches after swabbing the bore to patina/darken brass and steel - clean the bore with a patch after a shot, rub the dirty patch on the brass and steel.  Oil the steel well, afterwards.

My old standby cleaning solution that I got from Muzzle Blasts or Muzzleloader Magazine years ago was rubbing alcohol, Murphy's oil soap and Hydrogen peroxide - I've since switched to Oil Eater and distilled water, so I don't know if this will darken brass and steel like AMH does.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 04:51:54 AM by rmnc3r »

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 01:37:41 AM »
My experience is that brass black is easy to use but isn't a very durable finish on steel.  I prefer cold blues like Brownell's Oxpho-Blue or Super Blue rubbed back to the shade I want.  A little more work but a more durable finish IMHO,

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 08:46:31 PM »
My experience with cold blues makes me stay away from them.  They seem to attract rust rather than prevent it, and steel becomes a mess in no time.  I'd rather leave them bright and let nature dull them back.  But I prefer rust browned or blued barrels, and polished locks, on longrifles and pistols.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Not English

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 03:45:22 AM »
Mole, I use Brownells oxpho for engraving and details. I think it's a little blacker than brass black. I have never used any other brass blacks on steel so I can't speak as to them. I've used Kiblers brass black on steel after I've used Brownell's oxpho on the details and really like the results. Time will tell regarding durability. If it rubs off with use, that's patina as well. As D Taylor mentioned, I too did  see rust. I applied more oil and am happy with the results.

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 05:28:09 AM »
Thanks to all who responded I went with cold blue rubbed back it really turned out nice I'm an over oiler so I think it will last
Thanks again