Author Topic: Reliable Yet Correct Flintlock  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Vaquero

Reliable Yet Correct Flintlock
« on: November 14, 2020, 08:06:21 PM »
Hey everyone,

I’ve decided to go towards a heavy bore, Rocky Mountain rifle as my next build. I’ve not decided whether it will be a true Hawken, or more along the lines of a hodge-podge rifle built at Bents Fort or some other locale.

Regardless, it will be a flinter.

My questions  that I’d like some feedback on from y’all is:

What is the “best” lock I can buy for the price, that would still be believable for a western gun. I’m leaning towards Kiblers Ketland lock as I’ve heard nothing but praise, but I’m open to suggestions.

What are the “best” double set triggers that I should be looking at? My first rifle is a single trigger, so I have no experience with what’s out there except on a repro I used to own that had set triggers. Roller triggers are some of the best I have heard, but I understand that may be hard to come by.

Thank you for your answers and feedback!

Davison

Offline Don Stith

Re: Reliable Yet Correct Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 08:49:48 PM »
I have  no experience with the Kibler locks,but have gotten good performance from the Chambers late Ketland.  The quote I recently sent you was with  Roller triggers
Don

Offline Not English

Re: Reliable Yet Correct Flintlock
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 03:16:26 AM »
Vaquero, I can't speak for any Hawkens. A  friend has a full stock Hawken flinter that he built. It's a heavy gun but a real shooter. If you're thinking along the hodge-podge collection of parts you've got a lot of options. Any "hard used" Germanic lock would work mixed with whatever would work. You can mix almost anything older with a full stock rifle of later styles. You might also think along the lines of some of the trade rifles that were built for the western trade for "reused" parts ideas. As for "contemporary" locks, I'd think along the lines of cheap imported English locks. Definitely not Mantons and other high end locks. I'd be interested to see what you build.