Author Topic: Plugging vent hole  (Read 1817 times)

Offline eggwelder

Plugging vent hole
« on: November 15, 2020, 03:46:04 PM »
Posted this on another forum, bets advice i got was to bend the barrel. Goes against my grain.
Have my first build from 2015, and it has slight runout and shoots right and maybe a little low. I want to adjust the breech plug and turn the barrel about three flats. I`m not really concerned with filling the sight dovetail slots, and the barrel lugs are soldered on,  so easy to move.
What i will need to do is plug the vent hole, or cut it off and rebreech. I also have no issued doing that. I`Mgetting pretty good at it. I will have to shorten the stock. But i made that too, so no real issue there.
Advice?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Plugging vent hole
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 04:16:20 PM »

Make a vent liner without the hole. Reps each what you have with that.
Andover, Vermont

Offline eggwelder

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 04:19:08 PM »
This is what i was thinking

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 05:02:30 PM »
I would recrown the muzzle first and make sure its square to bore.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 05:23:10 PM »
      Man, I know you said that bending the barrel goes against your grain (can't fathom why) but that sure is the best and simplest solution to your problem.  Doing what you suggest will be a lot of unnecessary work to end up with a clobbered up mess.   Bending can be done very precisely using a big C clamp or an arbor press if you have access.  Gunsmiths have been bending barrels for years with good success.  It usually does not take much to achieve the desired result.  You will not be able to see the bend as it will be so slight, besides how do you know that your barrel isn't already bent and you would be straightening it...Make your life simple.
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 05:26:07 PM »
Bend the barrel , easy peasy.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 05:49:37 PM »
You already said that it is a Japanese barrel that you don't mind having the dovetails or labeling moved by re-breeching and turning the barrel a couple of flats.  Bending is easier and cleaner looking than doing all that.  As Ron said it might already be bent.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 05:57:19 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 05:50:41 PM »
Rich has not been a member of the Gemmer gun club long enough to know this.  The old range had a hole in one of the covered firing line posts that was used to bend barrels Sure made an easy job,  Right there at the range you could bend and test.
Don

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 05:54:15 PM »
 Can you change the point of impact by altering the muzzle of the barrel of a rifle, like you can on a smoothbore? If so, this would be the cheapest, and easiest, fix.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 09:24:12 PM »
Taylor tested the Bess, removed the barrel and whacked it, replaced the barrel, tested, removed & another whack on a large aspen tree, then replaced the barrel & tested - perfect!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 10:44:18 PM »
I was referring to reducing one side of the muzzle to adjust the windage, like doubles are regulated.

Hungry Horse

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 11:12:00 PM »
There's only one way to find out for sure......
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 05:49:17 AM »
Bending the barrel is waaaaaay easier than all the steps you mentioned.  Just bend it.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »
Guys,

Here is a tutorial on this subject.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=19603.msg185221#msg185221

However, this does work a lot better with wrought iron than with modern materials.

Jim

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 07:07:01 PM »
 Something else that could be the problem is the barrel crown, or damage to it. I got a gun some years ago in a trade, and took it to the range to see if it was a shooter. It shot about a foot to the right, so I hammered the front sight over, and got it on the target, but the sight was hanging on the edge of the barrel flat. After I got it home, and started the cleaning process I notice the muzzle had a ding in it that created a small bulge in the crown. I took it out to the shop, and not wanting to waste a lot of time on a gun I was going to trade off anyway, chucked up a larger than bore round stone in my drill, and gave the crown a trueing up. A chunk of fine Emory paper and my thumb smoothed out the sharp corners, and she was ready for another trip to the range. Mission accomplished, after a couple of shots just to be sure, I moved the sight back to the center of the barrel and eventually sent her to a new home.

Hungry Horse