Author Topic: H. Albright Eagle  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
H. Albright Eagle
« on: November 15, 2020, 08:48:49 PM »
Does anyone have a better picture of his eagle shown in TOKRIIGA # 24 and #25? Even a faithful reproduction would work. I would like to see more detail. I am assuming it is done in repousse and have no experience with the technique but would like to give it a go.

Thanks!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Karl Kunkel

Re: H. Albright Eagle
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 04:31:18 AM »
IIRC our own Tom Curran did some work like this, and posted in the past.  Search some of Acer Saccharum's posts.
Kunk

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 06:45:36 AM »
IIRC our own Tom Curran did some work like this, and posted in the past.  Search some of Acer Saccharum's posts.

Yes he did. For Rich Pierce's Deringer Trade Rifle.  There are pictures here:  https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=62191.msg624752#msg624752.
I think you can find the post about making the cheek inlay under Gun Building.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 12:19:35 PM »
   I talked with a guy that owned a H. ALBRIGHT and it had the star with a eagle.  He said it was beaten and formed into the star. I don't want to give out any names but I'm sure he knew what he was talking about.    Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 01:11:30 PM »
Yes, I remember the deer Tom did, for that gun, very nicely done it is. I was hoping for a better image of the Albright eagle to see details I might be missing.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 02:52:21 PM »
Roby,  You are correct that the eagle is done by the repousse process.  I did some restoration work on an original, the cheek inlay was falling off, so I removed it before reattaching it with the correct nails.  The original was made of silver and was .020 thick.  I have since that time made at least three copies of that rifle.  I learned a valuable lesson when I carved my first form to do the repousse eagle your form will be a negative.  You have to reverse the eagle to get the head pointing in the right direction.  It all worked out well, since I used the first eagle to build a left hand gun...heck of a place to start building a gun a (cheekpiece inlay)   I have my forms in the shop and will dig them out later today and post a few photos so you can see how I did it.

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »
Thank you Ron, I look forward to seeing them. This will be a left hand gun.
Robby
molon labe

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 05:50:07 PM »
   Here are the blocks that I used to form the eagle in.  I just made my punches up out of wood to push the silver into the form.  After doing the first one I found it better to form the eagle first then mark and cut the star around the formed eagle.  If your would like to see the finished eagle go to my web site www.ReCreatingHistory.com, click on contemporary guns and the Albrecht rifle will be # 4 on the first page.  click on the pictures associated with the gun to enlarge them. 
Good luck w/ your project,
Ron

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »
Thank you Ron, very much appreciated!!!! Beautiful Web Site!!!!
Robby
molon labe