Author Topic: one arm building?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Metalshaper

one arm building?
« on: November 22, 2020, 06:59:06 PM »
anyone here do any building with just one arm/hand available ? any hints or tips you'd offer?
had a shoulder repair done on my dominate side, but also tend to do some things better lefty,,
like wire welding  :P  looking to do a few things while i'm home for a few weeks healing..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: one arm building?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 07:07:54 PM »
Took me 5 months to get back to the bench after my shoulder surgery.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 07:16:30 PM »
Mike,

that's what they are threatening me with! and i'm a water quality lab tech, so i'm really screwed for a bit doing that work.
guess it will be a lot of qc review and desk stuff, when i get back  :(  just looking to try and do lil bits if possible and not hurt myself.

Respect Always
jonathan

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 08:37:03 PM »
I had a friend many years ago whose left arm was severed 2" below his elbow.  He built muzzleloaders for a hobby, as did I, and I asked him how he managed to use a plane to square up his wood.  He demonstrated using his gamey arm to hold down the front end of the plane, and just went at it ... pretty impressive perseverance.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Rick Anthony

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 07:38:08 AM »
I had arthroscopic surgery for rotator cuff and torn longhead bicep tendon repair 4 years ago. Because of insurance requirements and other issues, I wasn't able to have surgery for several months from the time of injury to the day of the surgery. I am dominately left handed, and this was my left shoulder. During this time and after surgery while recovering and therapy, I built 3 guns, mostly right handed. I had my arm in a sling or imobilizer held tight to my body, yet I had some movement of my lower arm and wrist, mostly side to side. I learned to use my right hand to do most things, and any work with the affected arm was close in to my body. Carving and engraving was S-L-O-W!!! I am saying that it can be done, just not ideal. Sorry for the long post.        Rick
Uncle Hiram

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 10:04:34 PM »
I knew a man years ago whose name was Ray Norton or Nordon and he had the fingers
on both hands badly damaged by high voltage and he made rifles that were good ones.
I made locks and triggers for him.I think he lived in Indiana.He only had ONE finger as I
recall and it was the long middle one but don't remember which hand it was on.
Bob Roller

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 12:17:22 AM »
We had a guy in our club many years ago who was a former Sheriffs deputy who lost his left arm as a result of a shootout with crooks. Didn't even have a stump. He built beautiful Planes rifles with great fit and finish and top grade wood (not kits)! He was pretty crafty and a good story teller and I always insisted his wife must have helped him, but he never admitted to it. But he did smile with a twinkle in his eye when I said it!
Tom C.