Author Topic: Bolt threader  (Read 1307 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Bolt threader
« on: March 02, 2021, 12:24:55 AM »
I picked this up and am pleased with it. I’ve got several screw plates but this is stylish. And if I get ambitious I could make more cutters.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

Re: Bolt threader
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 12:40:47 AM »
Now that one is pretty cool. 1st threader like that I've seen.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline LilysDad

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 03:53:57 PM »
Apparently, you could make a range of bolt sizes with the same thread count. But then you would need a tap with the same TPI.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 03:57:56 PM »
That's pretty cool.  Nice find for sure.  I've never seen anything like it.  Thanks for sharing.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 04:58:01 PM »
Rich have you tried it out yet? What sizes?
Tom C.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 06:11:44 PM »
Very neat tool, I am wondering how well it would work, sort of seems out of balance with the long handle on say a #10 screw.
kw

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 06:57:38 PM »
Very neat tool, I am wondering how well it would work, sort of seems out of balance with the long handle on say a #10 screw.
kw

My thoughts exactly -- with the one arm you would have the tendency to pull the screw shank over and bend the screw shank. You would never see a modern die holder handle made like this for that very reason.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 08:51:17 PM »
Guys,

Such tools are really quite easy to use.  Unlike the modern dies, with this tool you do not start the thread at the end of the blank shaft.  If you wish to thread the last 1/2 inch of a lock side screw, you start the thread 1/2 inch from the end and work the thread towards the end.  There is very little overturning moment of bending involved, so the brass handle on the end of the arm is a good idea.  When we use one of these old tools the response is often - "Wow, this is so easy".  This one is a beautiful tool!

Jim