Author Topic: What’s the secret to Efficiently inletting an Allentown butt plate?  (Read 5026 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: What’s the secret to Efficiently inletting an Allentown butt plate?
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 06:45:10 AM »
Chris,
They DO fade to nothing.  That’s one of the oddities that makes them so unique.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline alacran

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2020, 11:01:56 AM »
First rifle I built from scratch, my mentor was Dixon's book. First you fit the comb and go forward.
 It helps to cut your plank as close to the inside shape of the butt plate as possible. Not difficult but tedious, it is much easier than an entry pipe.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 01:13:48 AM »
Chris,
They DO fade to nothing.  That’s one of the oddities that makes them so unique.

I will never be able to do that.  That wood wouldn't last five minutes before it busted off, long before I would ever be done making the gun.  I can't fathom how it could possibly survive any longer than that.  Thin, wispy wood is a no-go for me.  But, I don't see myself ever attempting a Lehigh gun again.  I may not be making any kind at all any more.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 02:17:18 AM »
The key to supporting that corner properly is filing a compound draft into the curvature.  The draft should carry from the upper return back fully into the curve, unless you happen to be using one of the "other" types which have a square corner (lots of those, too).

The other key, primarily for the rear vertical portion of the buttplate, is a big a$$ mallet.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 05:06:00 AM »
I don't know about efficient, because it takes me forever to inlet any buttplate. But it's a heck of a lot easier if you file the forward extension with generous bevels. This leaves for stronger wood at the inlet edge, and makes for a nice tight joint where metal meets wood.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 05:38:28 AM »
That's actually what I was wanting to see. Thank you.  I was wondering how much beveling would be necessary.  I was thinking the buttplate tang would have to almost be "on-let" rather than "in-let".   ;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 12:22:47 PM »
Perfect, that picture explains exactly what I was trying to say.  While the wood still tapers up to a point where it actually meets the brass, it tapers rapidly wider in thickness so it's a lot more supportive and substantial as opposed to if you had little draft on the return and into the curve.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline alacran

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2020, 03:58:53 PM »
[
The other key, primarily for the rear vertical portion of the buttplate, is a big a$$ mallet.
[/quote]
I have never inlet a Lehigh B P, because I'm not that big a fan of those rifles. But the situation described is very similar to a variery of fusil and jeager BPs, I have inlet those. If you need a big a$$ mallet you are approaching the job with an improper attitude.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2020, 08:53:38 PM »
I don't agree.  My butt plate mallet is a 4 1/2" dia. section of birch log about the same length, with a good hickory handle.  When I whack the plate, it certainly leaves a good impression from the inletting black.  I still takes me several hours to inlet a butt plate.  I don't find the Lehigh any more difficult than any other school.  They all take patience and foresight.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2020, 09:43:48 PM »
"If you need a big a$$ mallet you are approaching the job with an improper attitude."

My attitude is that of getting the job done asap and subsequently getting paid.  Neither the buttplate nor the customer cares about the exact curvature arc as long as the metal to wood fit mates properly.  There's a reason that very soft yellow brass is highly preferable.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2020, 10:44:06 PM »
Yes, a big mallet toward the end seals the deal. Depending on the day a buttplate will take .5 to 1.5 hours to have in place and screwed down.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2020, 05:32:28 AM »
I've always beat the edges of the buttplate down to meet the wood.  Of course, you probably can't do that with the hard, springy, investment cast bronze buttplates.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2020, 04:11:57 PM »
I've always beat the edges of the buttplate down to meet the wood.  Of course, you probably can't do that with the hard, springy, investment cast bronze buttplates.
A good reason not to use bronze butplates
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline alacran

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2020, 04:15:47 PM »
I don't agree.  My butt plate mallet is a 4 1/2" dia. section of birch log about the same length, with a good hickory handle.  When I whack the plate, it certainly leaves a good impression from the inletting black.  I still takes me several hours to inlet a butt plate.  I don't find the Lehigh any more difficult than any other school.  They all take patience and foresight.
Whacking the butt plate to leave an impression of the inletting black is a lot different than beating it to conform to the shape of the wood.
Try to conform the BP to the wood certainly doesn't work with steel BPs, if anything it makes things worse.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2021, 10:16:31 AM »
As the fellows said, remove as much of the wood as possible, get the comb line shaped close. Take your time there are really no short cuts. That is why you don’t see the artistry in the vast majority of guns...this level of work is too time consuming and most people that companies hire don’t have anywhere the skill required to do what you are doing. When your done you will be happy and the next one gets easier. As was said take your time.
This one took a bit of time too...