Author Topic: hand tools  (Read 2779 times)

tennjed

hand tools
« on: January 02, 2021, 04:58:24 AM »
Thanks for the great responses to my question on wood quality.

Even after 61 years, I still struggle with impatience, sometimes. Thinking about my dilemma over replacing the flintlock I gave away, over a couple beers tonight, I have come to the conclusion that this is definitely going to be an exercise in controlling my impatience. It occurred to me that I can work toward the rifle by making sure I am prepared to do what I need to do, once I decide what sort of kit (blank or pre-inleted) to go with.

Is there a good reference on exactly what hand-tools are needed to build........what specfic files, chisels, chemicals, etc. one should have on hand at the start of a rifle build?, what vise works best?

Thanks.

Wayne in SE Indiana

Offline wormey

Re: hand tools
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 05:12:37 AM »
Boy am I waiting to see these answers!  Wormey

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 05:34:13 AM »
I forget if you have bought books or videos on building a longrifle. Those are essential. I also suggest going to the tutorial area in this site. There is a lot there. Take the time to check them out.

Mike Brooks’ tutorial is the most comprehensive. https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=31173.0

When it comes to hand tools, there are about 6 ways to inlet a barrel alone. They all use different tools. Stocks can be rough shaped with saws, hatchets, scrub planes, rasps, planes, draw knives, spokeshaves, gouges and chisels. So defining what tools one needs is impossible.

When it comes to carving there is stabbing and cutting designs with a parting tool as very broad approaches. Within that a wide variety of tools can be used. For stabbing one can use one tool alone a la Gary Brumfield or up to about 30 gouges. So naming tools needed is impossible.

Every builder either goes mostly down either a self-discovery path or a coached path by attending in person classes. Even then, some folks find one sort of approach works in their hands and another does not. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline John Shaw

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 05:36:57 AM »
https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/nicholson49patternmakersrasp.aspx

This is the rasp I use the most. It can give a pretty smooth cut and remove a lot of wood at the same time. Veritas makes a hand plane that I use a lot. I bought a good honing guide and it helps put a great edge on my planes and chisels. Of course you'll need to buy the right stones to keep your tools sharp. A good set of scrapers is also essential. If you have the where-with-all you may find that making your own cutting tools to do a specific job is almost as much fun as building the gun. You can spend a lot of money on good hand tools or I suppose you could whittle a stock out with nothing more than a jackknife if you have the patience.

JS
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:45:21 AM by John Shaw »

tennjed

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 05:37:10 AM »
What better way to distract yourself than by wandering around looking for tools that you don't have,? Should be like Heaven.

Wayne

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 05:48:11 AM »
Your tool list will vary somewhat with the type of build you do. A kibler kit will probably need less tools as compared to a from the blank build.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 06:08:17 AM by smylee grouch »

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 05:49:49 AM »
There is a recommended tool list on this site under under FAQs.
Kunk

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 06:08:34 AM »
   Watch a bunch of videos from as many different people as possible and pay attention to what they are using. Every does things differently. There is no right answer. You have to decide for yourself which tools will work best for you. Best advise is to not go cheap on the tools. There is a huge difference between a $8 rasp and a $170 rasp.It all depends on your budget.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 05:23:36 PM »
I have probably offered this advice a couple of dozen times to new builders who may buy a precarve; DON'T LET THEM INLET FOR THE LOCK, DO IT YOURSELF. It is not that hard and you can put your lock exactly where it is supposed to be.

Actually I would recommend a plank build with the barrel inletted and ramrod hole drilled by one of the experts. You may spend more time correcting flaws in a precarve than it would take to shape blank into a proper stock.

tennjed

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 06:54:03 PM »
John,

Thanks for the link to Highland Woodworking. It looks like a good place to shop. I think my first purchase will be a set of chisels, along with what is needed to sharpen. 

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 06:56:07 PM »
Eric K, I certainly second that advice!  In fact, you can say that again!
Tom C.

Offline Clint

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 12:51:17 AM »
The first tool you will need is a little experience. Since none of us are 12 years old, apprenticeship is not viable, so get a reasonable piece of wood or even a precarve and all of the key components, then go for it. don't try to stock up on tools, but get them as you go. Hunting down tools or making them your self turns out to be half of the adventure. Take your time! I find the journey through the building process to be the best part of muzzle loaders, and making tools holds as much satisfaction as the rifle itself. After you have built one , build another one, while everything is still fresh. You will find out what you are missing and the second rifle will go easier and the results will be better. Good luck and have fun.
CW

Offline paulitus

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 02:50:09 AM »
One word....spokeshave. Just having fun, in reality, the search for the better tool is part of the fun. I am still using the chisel set I made when attending Trinidad Sate in 1977-78. Ditto ramrod drills, built when I had access to the machine shop. But, in reality, I would say that he best tool is patience.

Offline kudu

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 03:37:23 AM »
Sure would be nice if you had somone around your" home base" that builds rifles or smoothbores.
 I knew a guy that could build a real nice gun from the blank with a Saw , 3 chisels , Brace and and about 4 bits. A triangle file and Hacksaw. A rasp and homemade scraper or two.

No power tools .
No carving or engraving but they sure shot well.

I guess thats what "They" did way back when.

Offline Not English

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 05:09:05 AM »
tennjed, I wouldn't worry about tools too much beforehand. A #49 Nicholson patternmakers rasp will do you fine. I would add a small 6 piece or so carving chisel set. They don't need to be too expensive but should definitely have long handles rather than the small palm chisels. A small plastic or rawhide mallet is indispensable. The plastic is cheaper although you'll eventually go with rawhide. A 160z. ball pein will take care of any metal  work. You'll be making and buying tools as you go along, so I wouldn't worry too much about collecting them before starting. The only other thing would be a good set of screwdrivers. Oddly enough, the every day magnetic screwdriver kit is pretty decent. The bits are hollow ground and are thus less likely to  chew up screw slots.

Offline flehto

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 04:52:46 PM »
After building a "few", one thing stands out......make an accurate layout on the blank and bandsaw on the line.....it's somewhat surprising how fast the "stock" takes shape. Doing the shaping and a little  later on the inletting w/ too much wood not only wastes  time but also can cause errors. After bandsawing, the main task is rounding the corners of the forestock after the bbl is inletted.. With the  buttstock I hacksaw vertical cuts and first outline the cheek piece then a series of saw cuts and use a large chisel and mallet to knock off  the wood between the saw cuts. The buttstock takes shape quickly using a coarse, toothed  rasp. After the gross wood removal, the fun tasks start.......Fred

tennjed

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 06:22:07 PM »
Thanks again for the great responses. Last night, as my first step, I ordered the patternmakers vise from Grizzly. I was very fascinated by the fascinating, and complex, vise from Highland, but think the more basic model from Grizzly will work well as a starting point.

Bill Raby

Following your advise, I noticed that the one thing in every video is the vise. OBTW, I am following your Tennessee rifle build series of videos; enjoying them a great deal. I think you do an outstanding job of explaning and illustrating the techniques. The more I watch, The more I consider starting from a blank. Where are you located?

I also watched a few vids from Blackpowder TV. Love that Soddy-Daisy rifle. Does anyone sell a plan for that rifle?

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Built 1st gun in dorm room at college
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 07:42:52 PM »
I will second ( or third maybe) the advice to build from a blank.   You have more latitude as to what you build, and also to correct mistakes ( I meant to say “ make alterations”- experience speaking)  as you go.  Using a blank will give you a lot more choices in the furniture that you use also.   As far as tools, the suggestions here are great.   I would start with the basic tools and add other tools as needed. Some of these you can make ( small chisels for example.).  And ......don’t get in a hurry.  The fun is in the process.
mikeyfirelock.  ( who started his first gun with basically a handful of files)
Mike Mullins

Offline Not English

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 08:36:31 AM »
Tennjed, one other item that occurred to me is to keep separate files for steel and brass. Don't mix them up. I don't know the mechanics behind why they're not interchangeable, but there is a  difference