Author Topic: Barrel tang too long  (Read 2031 times)

Offline elkhart

Barrel tang too long
« on: January 05, 2021, 10:30:39 PM »
I pulled this project out of the closet after it sat for a few years. It's a TOW JP Beck pre-inlet with a swamped barrel. I'm not sure what I was thinking at the time, but I inlet the tang as it came from the barrel manufacturer, and it's too long.  I'd like to take about a half inch off the tang and patch the remaining inlet. I have wood that is supposed to be from the original blank, and it appears that I can match up the grain fairly closely.

I saw a post here where the builder did the same operation and removed an oval shaped piece of wood to correspond with an oval in the tang carving. I remember he beveled the inlet and matched up the replacement wood. I can't remember the other details, is there anything else I need to know for a successful repair? What kind of glue? How much clamping pressure? Would dampening the replacement wood and the inlet, then clamping help with a tight fit? Then gluing after the two surfaces have dried.

Offline Daryl

Re: Barrel tang too long
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:42:01 PM »
I would use Titebond 2 or 3. Moderate clamping pressure (elastic bands would work) you do not want to squeeze all the glue from the joint.
You will want to have a fresh wood surface, without inletting black. The square tang does not look right to me. This is the Beck Taylor built,
that I now own.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:46:30 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 11:38:34 PM »
I don't think that looks horribly long myself unless you just want to change it. I would taper the side of the plug so when you clamp it down it will squeeze against the side of the inlet at the top.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 11:45:21 PM by flinchrocket »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 11:43:26 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, flinchrocket.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline elkhart

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 12:14:45 AM »
That's really nice, Daryl. The tang looks square in the picture but it's actually flared. I have to figure out the tang carving so I can figure out where to make the splice.

Do I have to color the Titebond or will it not show with aqua fortis?

Joe

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 12:52:53 AM »
Joe, you obviously can't leave a gap 1/32" wide around the plug, fill it with plastic and expect it to dissappear.  But If your joint is molecular (tight) all that may be visible is a very thin black line. the AF will not change the glue's colour, but if there isn't an visible, you'll be golden.  I'd leave the tang as it is, and design the carving around it to be compatible.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Not English

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 02:25:03 AM »
Elkhart, I think DTaylors last suggestion is the way to  go. It looks long because it's been left square. You can do a lot with carving, wire work, or possibly even some sort of inlay.

Offline LilysDad

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 03:50:28 AM »
Do I have to color the Titebond or will it not show with aqua fortis?

Doesn't Titebond still offer a brown version of their product? It's designed to blend in.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 04:13:10 AM »
I really don't have problems with Titebond glue and Aqua Fortis stain.  First of all, the parts should be fitted VERY TIGHTLY. And there won't be much of a "glue line" anyway.  Color has never been a problem for me.

Just fit your plug in with no gaps.  It has to be "snug", but not so tight you have to drive it in with a mallet (it could break your stock by wedging it apart).  The glue will swell the wood some.  Should be no problemo to do.  Differing grain can likely be hidden by carving and possibly some careful "aging".
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 04:29:06 AM »
I have no problem with the flared tang as is, I'd leave it be.
Kunk

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 04:36:36 AM »
It actually doesn't look that bad being overly long.  But, I certainly do understand when something bugs you because you don't think it's right.  I have done a LOT of reworking stuff because I didn't like this or that little detail.... stuff that 99.67% of the general population would NEVER EVER notice...even if you pointed it out to them.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 04:41:13 AM »
I've sold guns for less reason than that. If it bugs you now it always will.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 04:58:50 AM »
Maybe he should inlet the lock first and make sure the barrel doesn't need moved back?

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 07:32:41 AM »
Elkhart, I think that was one of my posts....  here is a link: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=46527.msg457636#msg457636  Go there and scroll down a bit.  The final results are at the end of the thread.

Hope that helps!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline elkhart

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 04:19:33 PM »
Curtis, that's the one! Thank you

Thanks for the help everyone