Author Topic: Iron Mounted Southern Rifle (Pics)  (Read 13184 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Iron Mounted Southern Rifle (Pics)
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 04:02:24 PM »
But the barrel, rod pipes and the escutcheons are shiny too some pitting but not the etching we generally see in "aged" guns.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

eagle24

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »
Dan,

I don't disagree with what you are saying about aging parts to look natural.  I've found that it is very difficult to achieve the right look.  The clorox etching was completely unsatisfactory to me.  It looked chemically etched and unnatural.  I wanted the metal parts to have an aged look on this rifle.  No way I can bring myself to ding up the wood though.  I think the next rifle I build will be built to look new and the metal parts will be rust blued.  The buttplate and toe plate do not have any clorox etching on them and I rubbed out most of the etching on the trigger guard.  Oh, BTW I spent 3 hours yesterday draw filing and polishing the barrel flats.  Yes, it will be difficult to screw it up.  That's why I'm thinking the next one will be built to look new.  Much easier IMO to make a part look new than look old.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:34:08 PM by GHall »

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 01:31:08 PM »
Very nice! Can't wait to see the final product.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 05:42:31 AM »
I'm telling you......you've got nothing to be ashamed of in that rifle....it looks great for a 1st or a 20th build. I only keep my 1st build around so I'll remember what NOT to do!! If it didn't shoot good I'd break it over a stump! 

ps.. Am I in your will yet? ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:45:09 AM by kentucky bucky »

ironwolf

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 07:43:13 PM »
  Love it. All you need to do besides fixin' that flat spot is take a sraper and scrape over that sanded surface.  Your Aqua Fortis will look better too.
  KW