Author Topic: Bolts And Such  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Bolts And Such
« on: February 22, 2021, 12:26:09 AM »
 Eric Kettenburg posted this in the "Classifieds" but more people will see it here. They have some hard to find hardware.

Tim C.

https://www.blacksmithbolt.com/

Offline tomjanemc

Re: Bolts And Such
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 12:44:55 AM »
Have any of you prolific rifle builders, create a list of the most common size & length of slotted oval head or flat head screws used for your rifle builds?
 It would be very helpful to everyone.
I’ve purchased some screws from https://www.blacksmithbolt.com/ and they are a great resource.

Offline Not English

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 02:31:23 AM »
Tim, great idea. I always purchased mine from the hardware store or scrounged around for what I needed in the shops at the UW (Wi.). The hardware store is increasingly getting to  be a lost cause.

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 05:38:31 AM »
Tim,
Thank you very much for this source.  I spend way too much time trying to find the correct screws I want for my builds.  It is impossible to find anything locally, and nearly as bad getting the lengths I am looking for from my normal supply guys I have been using for years.  I have just about decided that I have lost my way or just getting too picky about what is available!
                                                                                                  Roger Sells

Offline duca

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 07:34:43 AM »
Awesome Tim thanks for the info

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 04:37:26 PM »
  The "Thanks" go to Eric K. the link was from his post in the "Classifieds" .

Tim

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 05:05:10 PM »
I have made all kinds of "bolts" for both muzzle loaders and cars.When I was making
locks I sometimes got requests for cross screws to hold the lock on the gun and they
were usually 8x32 sharp corner fillister heads with "V"slots.I made them from 12L14
and some were 6x32 for ramrod clearences and locks with a very small area in front
of the mainspring.Anyone with a small lathe can make these and 12L14 IS the ideal material
and MCMaster Carr sells it in small quantites any any size needed.
Bob Roller

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 05:24:40 PM »
Blacksmith bolt has been my "go to" place for wood screws for years.  Great stuff.  Just remember to order plenty of extras as sometimes the slots can be cut quite off center.  The slots are wide so I also swage the slot together, recut a thinner more historically correct slot and refile the head and sharp edge.
David

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 05:38:18 PM »
Blacksmith bolt has been my "go to" place for wood screws for years.  Great stuff.  Just remember to order plenty of extras as sometimes the slots can be cut quite off center.  The slots are wide so I also swage the slot together, recut a thinner more historically correct slot and refile the head and sharp edge.
David
I remove old wood screws from my friend's door hinges and their antique chairs.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 06:13:30 PM »
We buy all of our wood screws from Blacksmith Bolt.  These aren't perfect, but the best quality we've found.  Interestingly these are primarily NOS from the 60's or 70's.  They are FAR superior than most current screws manufactured.  I foresee a time when we'll have to have these produced on screw machines.  The quality will be excellent, but the cost will be pretty high.

Jim

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 07:31:14 PM »
MOST of the family owned hardware stores like we had here in Huntington are long closed
and the inventory scattered.Cavendish-Cyrus here still had shotgun shells in wooden crates
with dovetailed corners when Sally Cyrus closed it in 1995.WalMart and flea markets were
a big enemy for her store.One time,the day after a break in I found saw blades from her store
at a nearby flea market and told the vendor "I will take them all"he then said "That will be"
and I told him I was TAKING them back to the rightful owner and then served notice  on the
flea market owner that I was going to have the state tax commissioner and the IRS dump a full
ration of the finest problems they could think of on that den of thieves.He nearly lost bladder
control over that and I did notice a lot fewer vendors afterward. ;D
Those long gone stores were a real source of NOS inventory of screws,bolts and anything else.
I kept the Cavendish-Cyrus in the pipe threading business by maintaining their threading machine
working and not charging for the time.Memories of people long gone and another America.
Bob Roller
PS
Turley's hardware store in the East End of the city still had muleshoes in a wooden keg when
Carolina Lumber bought them out.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 07:40:36 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Richard Snyder

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 05:36:51 AM »
Mike's suggestion works really well, but I can't figure out what happens to my friends.

Offline Shopdog

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 03:55:17 AM »
David
I remove old wood screws from my friend's door hinges and their antique chairs.
Do you at least wait for yur friends to get up from their chair before you relieve them of their screws? 😝
Joe Davis
“We live in a bloody swamp! We need all the land we can get!

Online David R. Pennington

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 04:11:53 AM »
I have bought some fasteners from blacksmith bolt. Mostly for blacksmith projects I’ve done. Nothing, to my mind, distracts more from a traditional project than hardware store Phillips’s screws.
 Rivets, square head bolts and lags, and slotted screws are mostly what I’ve bought from them.
I make most of my own side nails and lock screws.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA