Author Topic: Siler mystery lock  (Read 1710 times)

Offline alex e.

Siler mystery lock
« on: February 22, 2021, 08:57:03 PM »
I was given this large Siler flintlock . It's at least 20 years old.
It seems to be assembled well,and only test sparked.
On the back side its stamped "RH" followed  by a serial number.  Is that from Bobby Hoyt?

Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline t.caster

Re: Siler mystery lock
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 09:16:37 PM »
I have one of those in my first blank built rifle. I believe it was assembled by the late Richard Harring(sp) from Michigan. I built a LOT of good quality locks in the 70s -90s.
Tom C.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 09:30:28 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I've never  seen one that was numbered.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 09:35:24 PM »
Yup, mine is a small Siler stamped: RH899
Tom C.

Offline John Shaw

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 10:15:18 PM »
I've been given an old large Siler marked RH3124.

JS

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 11:13:16 PM »
Dick Herring passed away in 2001. He also made a coil spring percussion lock as I remember. Soft spoken very nice man.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 04:01:23 AM »
When I purchased the Siler company in 1991 Richard (Dick) Herring has just finished assembling his 7000th Siler kit.  I sold him many more kits before he finally gave it up.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 04:25:42 AM »
When I purchased the Siler company in 1991 Richard (Dick) Herring has just finished assembling his 7000th Siler kit.  I sold him many more kits before he finally gave it up.

Wow!

Offline tfornicola

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 05:07:07 AM »
I still have 3 numbered large Siler locks on rifles built in the 1980's, all are smooth and spark great!  Tom

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 02:16:53 AM »
If well assembled ,these old silers can be very quick. Compared to the deluxe JChambers version of the Siler the throw on the cock is shorter .This isn't a bad thing as less travel time means a faster ignition .
If the springs are well balanced meaning the mainspring against the frizzen spring and the frizzen hard it can be a great lock .

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 12:19:16 AM »
If well assembled ,these old silers can be very quick. Compared to the deluxe JChambers version of the Siler the throw on the cock is shorter .This isn't a bad thing as less travel time means a faster ignition .
If the springs are well balanced meaning the mainspring against the frizzen spring and the frizzen hard it can be a great lock .
   So true. I have a small Siler I bought in the 1970's and it's very east to cock and you can open the frizzen with a feather and it sparks great and its the fastest lock I've ever had. Flint's last much longer. You just don't need big heavy springs that's in locks made today. If I was younger I'd start building my own locks.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 12:53:57 AM »
Couldn't agree more with the old short throw Siler locks. I still have a nice collection of Siler locks made by Walter Cain. and L&S, they are the most forgiving on flints and fastest locks I have ever built a gun around.
Barry