Author Topic: Just finished turkey gun  (Read 1806 times)

Online WKevinD

Just finished turkey gun
« on: April 14, 2021, 08:01:08 PM »
I built this using a 38" Coleraine turkey choked barrel.
The target shows first shot at 25 yards, 1 1/2 oz #4 lead shot pushed by 75 gr. fffg.
I still need to shoot at 35 yards but I'm sure it will do the job when our season opens.
Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Ault

Re: Just finished turkey gun
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 08:18:30 PM »
Nice looking gun !and that would be one dead bird !  Am planning on a gun just like that this summer /fall

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 08:48:12 PM »
Looks good.  I'd say anything that gets within 25 yards is dead for sure.  Good luck getting a Gobbler.

Ken

Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 08:57:17 PM »
The target shows first shot at 25 yards, 1 1/2 oz #4 lead shot pushed by 75 gr. fffg.
I still need to shoot at 35 yards but I'm sure it will do the job when our season opens.
Kevin

Nice looking gun. Definitely a dead turkey. Is loading any different having to load through a choked barrel vs non-choked?

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 09:09:42 PM »
Kevin, very nice looking gun and it patterned fantastic.   That will do the job.  What lock did you use?? 

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Online WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 11:11:59 PM »
Kevin, very nice looking gun and it patterned fantastic.   That will do the job.  What lock did you use?? 

Dave

Thanks Dave, I use a Chambers round faced, they just spark so well.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 11:49:34 PM »
Wow that's a heck of a pattern.

Online WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 11:55:10 PM »
Kevin

Nice looking gun. Definitely a dead turkey. Is loading any different having to load through a choked barrel vs non-choked?
Loading thru the choke is a Pain! The muzzle is .58 the main barrel is .62. I top the 75 gr fffg with a 1/8" card that needs to be bent to get it in then tamp, add  half a lubed cushion wad, then a 110 gr measure of #4 and top with a 1/2" cushion wad that I split and load half at a time. Hopefully I wont have to do any quick reloads.
 Kevin

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 12:01:33 AM »
Thanks Kevin. With that pattern, I don't think you will have to worry about a quick reload on a turkey

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 12:39:07 AM »
WKevinD had your aim been 1 1/2" higher, it would have centred the head. That load would most likely work to 40yards, given the extremely tight concentration
in the centre of the pattern. I suspect you aimed down, along the barrel, instead of having your eye just above the breech.  That is a tendency when patterning
but usually doesn't happen when shooting game - unless it is purposefully done.
You have developed a very good patterning load.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Sparkitoff

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 01:28:18 AM »
That is a fantastic pattern! 

Offline tfornicola

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 01:37:22 AM »
Kevin, Excellent build and great pattern, makes me get into my next build. Great job!!

Online WKevinD

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 01:59:05 AM »
I suspect you aimed down, along the barrel, instead of having your eye just above the breech.  That is a tendency when patterning
but usually doesn't happen when shooting game - unless it is purposefully done.
You have developed a very good patterning load.

Thanks Daryl, I did not sight down the barrel, I used the rear sight. Being a dedicated gun for turkeys a rear sight was a necessity for me.
This was the first shot from the gun so I aimed where the head and neck joined. When I shoot at 35 I'll definitely take your advice and aim for center of head!
Kevin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 03:13:09 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Skychief

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 05:53:44 AM »
Kevin, I think you best go ahead and get the grease hot.  Heck of a pattern!  Good job on your gun.

Good luck hunting, Skychief.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 04:25:46 AM »
That's one of the tightest patterns I've seen at 25 yards. Only my 10 bore double exceeded it
with all inside 8" for a 2 ounce load of lead 2's. That was an 80 yard goose load.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:32:14 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline John Proud

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 03:50:42 PM »
Kevin,
One heck of a pattern. It will definitely do the job. Get your stuffing recipe ready!
John

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 04:10:27 AM »
Really good looking turkey gun and a fantastic pattern.
I wouldn't move your point of impact at all. That's exactly where I sighted my modern guns before I went to all black powder for turkeys. If you center the head then your wasting half your pattern right off. The top of the pattern just shoots into empty space. While if you keep your sight in where it is the top is still in the brain, the center takes out the neck, and the lower pellets are still hitting the neck. If your aim gets off a little in any direction you still have your entire pattern working for you.
Just something to consider.
American horses of Arabian descent.